Post-v5 new features and development news

Geographic reannotation, i.e. reannotating based on the component positions on the board.

Tools -> Reannotate PCB

EDIT: separate post here: Geographic Reannotation Now Included in PCBNew

4 Likes

Hatched zones now get aprons around connected pads and vias.

1 Like

There’s a new UI for managing the appearance of layers and objects in PcbNew.

Featuring:

• Layer view presets
  • Per-type opacity for tracks, vias, pads, zones
  • Net and netclass color and visibility controls

If you use a color scheme where you set your copper layers to have less than 100% opacity, I highly recommend you try setting copper back to 100% and use the opacity controls per object type. I personally think it’s a lot easier to see when tracks are fully opaque and other items are translucent.

Demo of per-type opacity:

Demo of net and netclass colors:

There’s a lot of new stuff here, so please report bugs!

14 Likes

…but not here.

General discussion about the features should have their own threads, and Net classes in Eeschema (5.99) and New Net Tools in pcbnew 5.99 are fitting for the net system related discussion.

I liked the “eye” icon instead the checkbox for layer hive/visible (like AutoCad, Inkcape, …) and the new opacity control! Just two observations:

1. It not good to see in a dark them (if possible, will be nice use the same text or checkbox color);
  2. Footprint editor software could use the same interface;
  3. After this update, this “lateral toolbox” doesn’t save it own width in case of Pcbnew close-reopen. It always open like this (in Nets tab and with small width):

Hello all, it was merged this new feature I developed for 3D-Viewer: light parameterization …with some improvements in the rendering:

25 Likes

Beautiful, marketing will love this

4 Likes

Excellent, I really needed this feature!

With these improvements to the viewer being made, would it be possible to support opacity for the board material, e.g. polyamide / PET?

1 Like

Would you like to open a wish request on KiCad gitlab ? and provide some examples on what you would like to achieve?

Few people know that KiCad 5.99 has some invisible advanced configuration possibilities. You probably won’t need them but it may be good to know. See https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/blob/master/common/advanced_config.cpp where it’s documented.

It’s possible to group board items together.

At the moment it’s just a “geographical” group which locks items together so that they can be selected, moved, deleted etc. together.

20 Likes

Compressed 3D models are supported, see KiCad will support compressed step and vrml models in the future. Yeah, I could use those gigabytes for something else.

3 Likes

Yay! Configurable origin and axis direction has landed, courtesy by @RRPollack. See User-selected PCBnew display origin (5.1.x) for background, but that thread is closed. (Please no bug reports or wishes here.) The feature won’t be integrated into 5.1.

EDIT: I wrote a FAQ article about the origins and coordinate system, Coordinate system, grid and origins in Pcbnew (especially version 5.99). It shows these new features.

4 Likes

All feature requests need to go to the bug tracker (https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/issues) Search for your suggestion there first (I think it might be implemented but not sure)

Hopefully one of our hard-working admins can move this hijack over the the #community:feature-request

Apologies, I deleted the post.

Alternate pin definitions.

A library symbol can now define alternate definitions for individual pins, and a schematic symbol can chose which alternate to use.

22 Likes

There’s a new tool that lets you convert lines/tracks to polygons/zones/keepouts and vice versa.

I think it’s pretty handy for creating zones from imported DXFs, replicating some copper traces on the silkscreen layer, and things like that.

It doesn’t support curves/arcs yet but will eventually.

8 Likes

Great,
As usually curves are not handled. Why are curved tracks and rounded corners zones not yet implemented in Kicad? is there implementation that problematic? or is the Kicad code base inapropriate for handling such geometric primitives?

Curved tracks are implemented now (but some of the editing tools for them are still a WIP)

Seth is working on curved zone/polygon support: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/merge_requests/375
Once that is merged I will update my tool to support it.
Historically the geometric primitives in KiCad did not support arcs very well, but, we’re working on fixing that for V6.

8 Likes