One aspect of the Footprint Editor is confusing me [SOLVED] and [SOLVED a better way!]

Hi, folks.

I used bitmap2component to import an image of DFRobot’s Arduino ProMini. The image scaled to the correct dimensions of the board, and I specified that bitmap2component render the module for the front silk:

Adding pads on top of this to create a true footprint is not a problem. But, for the life of me, I cannot find a way to delete that image after the pads are placed in the proper locations. I have tried box-selecting it, using the “garbage can button” to select it and delete it, and even tried editing the resulting .kicad_mod file with a text editor to remove the image (all that accomplished was removing the pads I had placed).

I’m obviously missing and/or not understanding something.
Anyone know the trick to accomplish this ?

Thanks much !
Greg

If you can’t select it for some reason, use a text editor to find the correct ‘module’ section and delete the block. What are you trying to do here? The image looks like an Arduino Nano which is a very simple device. If you want the pin locations it’s best to extract that information from the Gerber files.

1 Like

Not clear what you are trying to achieve here?

Do you want a silk-screen logo on your board just to show the location of the ProMini OR are, as I think you are saying, you are using the footprint you have imported to plot where the pins go?

The pins for this (and many other devices like it) are on a standard 0.1" pitch .Start a new footprint in the FP editor and set your grid appropriately - you want a pitch of 1.27mm (50mil) as the end row are offset by 0.05"- just put a row 12 holes of appropriate sized pads with through holes down one side and another 0.6" away on the other side. Add the end holes - offsetting them and save your new footprint. If you want the silk screen image you need to trim off the image of the pads - you don’t want silk screen printed on the pads - and you need to add the image to the top silk layer.

1 Like

@cbernardo: I’m wanting to create a true footprint for this board to use in a larger project. I don’t have Gerbers to refer to, so I’m trying to use the image for proper pad locations. I’m once again trying to delete the F.Silk layer in a text editor… We’ll see how it goes, but last time I tried the pads were removed and the image was still there (I know I stayed away from the pads sections when deleting).

Yes, John… Exactly. The issue here is the 4 analog pads toward the right side interior of the board. They are not spaced with proportions of either the side or top pads, hence the reason for trying to use the image for proper placement of pads.

Hi Greg,
if you have access to a 3D model of the board (i.e. from 3dcontent central, grabcad or similar) you can import the STEP model in FC and then project the model on XY plane and export the result as DXF …
Here you will get the DXF to be imported as footprint … voilà :smiley:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21541#p167498
Menu Create Shape 2D of the view
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_Shape2DView

Hi, Maurice.

I did get a STEP (I think from 3dcontent), but when I clicked on the “top view” in FreeCad, I was looking at one of the side edges of the board… Not the top. I used your StepUp to get it oriented correctly. I’m brand new to FreeCad, so I didn’t know the process you mention was there. I’ll try it and see how it turns out.

Thanks !

50mil (1.27mm) grid with the pins on a 100mil (2.54mm) pitch and the top row is offset by 1.27mm. Need to check the hole size necessary.

Try measuring it with a micrometer.

Thank you, John, but as I stated… Placing the pads is not a problem. Getting rid of that background image afterward is what’s throwing me.

OK…
I managed to edit the .kicad_mod file with a text editor and removed all F.Silk blocks.

Odd thing, though…
I saved the edited file with the same name as the original, then re-loaded the footprint.
Just like before, all pads were no longer there, and the F.Silk image remained. I then saved the edited file as a different file name, loaded it, and the pads were there and the F.Silk was not. Footprint editor must be reloading itself from cache instead of reloading the actual changed file.

Greg

I think I may have found a possible situation. I was only able to do this in the OpenGL canvas (well, I didn’t try Cairo…)

Turn off the copper layers. Now window selecting will grab the silkscreen graphic but not the pads. Select it all and press delete. Hold on… By just turning off the front copper this also works. I can’t select the pads if only front copper is off. I can select the pads if only back copper is off. (Stable 4.0.6 Win64)

Hi.
I was trying this in the default canvas. Copper layers cannot be selected there.

I believe the standard KiCAD installation includes project templates for several of the Arduino boards. Look in {KiCAD_Installation_Directory}\share\kicad\template

If this is a version of the Arduino Pro Mini, those pins are probably NOT on a 50 mil grid. Furthermore, the Arduino Pro Mini modules you get from various manufacturers are NOT mechanically interchangeable due to footprint variations. See threads at Help with importing arduino pro mini, and Meanwell LDD700h schematics and at Arduino Blank Shield Available?

Dale

1 Like

Yes, Dale, you are absolutely correct.

This board is from DFRobot (I bought 3 of them). They are not the same as the true Arduino boards, and the ProMini template included with KiCad is not a match.

Just loads of fun !!

Well, OF COURSE I am correct!! That, and my humility, are my best qualities!

Dale

1 Like

Folks…
He’s not conceited… He’s CONVINCED !!
:smile:

1 Like

Ok… Solved.

It required hand-editing the .kicad_mod file and saving it as a different file name, loading it into the footprint editor, and over-writing the original file from there:

For those that suggested using the ProMini template that is packaged with KiCad, if you’ll take a good look at it, it’s only a board outline with pin headers… It’s not a true footprint.

Now… How do I change the title of this to “solved” ??

The only problem I have there is how do you know if the model is mechanically accurate? It might be better to nag DFRobot to provide mechanical drawings so there is no confusion.

Hi, cbernado.

I somewhat agree with you. All the information available on it is here, about halfway down the page. All I could go by was the board dimensions. I’ll just have to print it out and see if the pads line up.

Greg

By the way…

Here’s my first attempt at wiring one by hand. It was successful, but I’d really rather not have to go down that time-consuming path again.

I also did a footprint for Arduino Mini, they are a bit of a nightmare, lots of different versions. The ebay ones I bought have a second set of 4 pads.