Arduino Blank Shield Available?

I am designing a board that will use the Arduino Uno3 outline and headers. I will be providing the parts and pc layout. I simply will be using header connections and want to ensure that the board will be mechanically compatible with the Arduino.

I’ve noticed one from pcuino ( a french recent user - sorry if I mispelled the username).

I am curious about anyones experience with this one or others.

Thank you,
TomC

I don’t have experience with any arduino shield footprints/board outlines. Just wanted to remind ya that you can use eagle libraries as well and there are a few big libraries with arduino shields.

I know that the adafruit library (https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Eagle-Library ) has some at least.

no experience with any foreign module - if I need one I make one my own - but you could load this one as well and see if it agrees with the one you got:

Another approach is to use Google Image Search and go for Arduino Uno 3 dimensions and see what comes up and check with what you got. The Arduino website with this board doesn’t provide that kind of info, only a dxf file with the outline as far as I can see.

1 Like

Hello,
KiCad provides an Arduino Uno template with the conectors and outline predefined.
Have you tried it? I think it has the basics you are looking for.
Regards

Nice! ‘where’ is it?

Thanks,
TomC

Open KiCad, and from Project Manager click on main menu “File - New Project - New Project from Template”.
Specify a location for the new project and choose one of the defined templates.
You’ll get one proyect with an Eeschema file containing the conectors simbols and a Pcbnew file with the conectors footprints and board outline.
Furthermore you can view it in the 3d viewer.
If you want more info about how to create your own templates, KiCad manual is your friend.
Enjoy.

Thanks!

I did get an ‘Cannot Enumerate…’ error window, but am continuing.

TomC

Thanks again.

Also, I’m adding libraries, and after adding a library, I get an error
window:

'The following libraries were not found:
*special

This happens after every library addition.

Is this normal?

Thank you,
TomC

Hello again,
Be sure that you have previously configured the “templates” path in menu “Preferences - Configure Paths”. There you have to configure the field “KICAD_PTEMPLATES” (create it if it doesn’t exist) to point to your local KiCad instalation templates folder.
On Linux: “/usr/share/kicad/template”
On Windows “C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\template”
Wich KiCad version are you using?
When did you obtain the error window? Which step?

Immediately after I added the library.

I’m in the middle of a small project using the “Arduino Pro Mini” and some related modules. Discovered (too late!) that the “Pro Mini” doesn’t seem to have standards for its mechanical interface, so you must lock in a particular vendor before you lay out a board. Some of this non-standardization is demonstrated at https://arduino-board.com/boards/arduino-pro-mini Notice that some vendors place various pins in different locations, and some of the pin groupings appear in a different order on various versions of the product. One thing that isn’t obvious in the photos on that web page: some of the pad locations are NOT on the 50-mil (1.27 mm) grid that seems to govern the other pin placements. (They’re about 10 mils (0.25 mm) off the grid.) To aggravate the problem, it’s difficult to find diagrams that actually define the pin locations for any of the variants - the best I found is at http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/053/955/500/500955053_563.jpg

I don’t know if this every-man-for-himself approach is characteristic of the Arduino world in general, or just this particular module.

If anybody can point me toward a dimensioned drawing for the ZS-042 Real Time Clock module, I’d appreciate the help!

Dale

That’s just that module/interface… the crowd seems to have been first in doing a ‘mini’ and no govern/master-body was there to define the ‘standard’ version. Shit happens :slight_smile: