Unable to connect MAX-MQ8 SMD pins to pin header vias

Hello,

I’m trying to layout a very simple board for being able to test out a MAX-MQ8 GNSS chip.
My goal is to surface mount the MAX-MQ8 chip, and then have each pin connected to a pin header.
There are 19 pins on the chip, and 9 pins on each side of the chip.
I want a 9 pin header on the left, and a 9 pin header on the right of the chip.
I’ve got my layout quite close to how I need it.
But somehow when I am going to draw the track between a pin header, and one of the pins of the chips surface mounted pins, kicad does not allow me to make the connection.
I’m very new to circuit design, so I’m sure I’m missing something stupid.
Any advice on how I can get past that?

Kind regards,
Kyle

only a guess:
probably the board constraints (and/or netclass constraints) are to coarse for that chip.
Look at the clearance-values.

i think you could be on to something there.
i just messed around with a bunch of those values and made them tiny.
and it does seem like i connect some stuff now but not entirely sure…

Probably not the problem (at this moment) but, worth knowing… Walk-Around will prevent user from connecting…

In PCB Editor: Route>Interactive_Router Settings (set as needed…)

If you still experience problems:

• read and follow this New Member Information until you get promoted to basic user
  • than archive your project (kicad-manager–>File–>archive project) and attach the created zip-file
  • than we can look into the project, without guesswork

ok, thanks, will do!

Hello and welcome @Kyle_Lawlor

I suppose you are designing something like these (picture from a well known web site).

To avoid confusion, and please do not be offended, but it is best to get the terminology correct when writing.

A Schematic has Symbols, Pins and Wires.
A PCB has Footprints, Pads and Tracks.

Your Layout has Chips, Pins and Tracks.

If you have followed the recommended Kicad procedure, you will have a schematic looking something like this:

If you cannot attach the wires to the pins, something is off grid.

If the problem is connecting tracks to pads in the PCB, you will have something looking like this:

Note, Pad 10 will not connect to Pad 9 of J2.
The reason for this is because there is no wire connecting Pin 10 U1 to Pin 9 J2 in the Schematic.
The Kicad library symbol for MAX-M8Q has hidden and stacked pins. Note the extra copy of MAX-M8Q, in the schematic illustration, without pin stacking and hidden pins.

Please inform us of your problem so we can help you solve the issue/s. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @jmk no offense taken, learning moments are appreciated.
Your post is very helpful, indeed, I am missing stuff in my schematic.
My next step will be to go back to that schematic and make sure it’s set up properly.
Appreciate the help, and will reach back out here if more q’s come up or if I get past the issue.

Thanks for the support all.

1 Like

Kicad libraries are “read only”, so to change U1 (15 pins) to Ux (18 pins) requires a bit of effort.

• Create a personal library. See this FAQ
  • Place the Kicad MAX-M8Q into your personal library. To do this:
    Open the Symbol Editor,
    Find, highlight, then Right click the MAX-M8Q from the library list on the left.
    Click “save as” and in the new window, scroll to and highlight your new personal library. Click “save”.

The Kicad MAX is now in your personal library as well as the Kicad library. As I stated above, you cannot do anything with the Kicad library symbol except copy/paste, but you may now do whatever you wish with the Max in your personal library, so:

• Double left click the Max in your personal library and notice the symbol. Pin 15 is colored Cyan, this means it is hidden. Double left click pin 15 and tick the box “visible” then OK.
    Note the cyan mess around pin 1. This means there are pins stacked. Single click pin 1 and move whatever pin you have selected away from Pin 1, repeat for the third Pin stacked. Double click the now exposed pin 10 and make visible. Repeat for Pin 12. Arrange the three pins as you wish and save.
  • Delete the 15 pin Kicad MAX-M8Q from your schematic and replace it with your 18 pin personal library MAX_M8Q then join pins 10, 12 & 15 to header pins.
  • Finally, update your PCB from the Schematic.
1 Like

Hello friends :wave:

I just wanted to share an update. I’ve got an updated schematic, and PCB design for this project that seem to be working nicely. I’ve passed the ERC and DRC checker. I’m sure I’ve done some more silly stuff but it’s getting fairly close to what I want! I wanted to share it here in case there is any feedback that y’all are willing to share if you have time. I know that this has been done before, and that there are many options to buy for testing MAX GNSS modules. But I’m doing this for learning.

I think I may still add a few things. I.e. I probably should add an antenna connector for ease. And maybe there’s a way I can improve the grounding setup. Here’s a link to a ZIP of my project files:

https://utils.lawlorbagcal.org/misc/MAX-M10S-BOARD.zip

I’m still not allowed to upload files, it says I’m a new user, but I thought I went through the process :thinking:

Click on your avatar, then again on your large “grayed out” name and you can read your forum statistics.

Compare the statistics required to become “Basic” from the FAQ link provided by @mf_ibfeew to your own and you will find what you still need to self promote to Basic.
Read time is OK.
Topics viewed is OK.
Posts read, you still need 6. :slightly_smiling_face:

OK.
Personally, ERC is an unnecessary complication for a break-out board.
I’d have thrown out the Kicad symbol and replaced it with a modified version without hidden and stacked pins… It’s a good excuse to get involved with the symbol editor also.

Please compare this to my earlier schematic in this thread. I’ve swapped the Kicad symbol with the modified one and been able to draw the missing wires.

J1 & J2 have 1/10 inch (2.54mm) spacing between pads and J1 & J2 are 9/10 inch apart. This means I can attach header pins to the other side of the board, solder to the pads, and plug the board into a breadboard for experimenting.
Big pads and fat tracks are to improve robustness… it’s an experimental board.
Silkscreen text for each pad to help to not stuff up the IC during experiments… nothing worse than magic smoke caused by attaching wrong wires to pins.

You can upload now. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.