I’ve enjoyed KiCad for some time, mainly V4 using the english version.
Now I’ve been trying out the V5.99 builds and it defaults to my system language which is Swedish. However this translation is totally incomprehensible. It seems to be machine translated with no context whatsoever.
For example “board” is translated to “styrelse” in many places, which translates back to “board of directors” as opposed to “circuit board”. *translation/pofiles/sv.po, string 1664
Another example “Configure paths” is translated to the equivalent of “Configure curves”. (“Konfigurera banor”)
I checked the translation for layer “b.paste” in other languages which can be seen following the link below. It is translated to the equivalent of “paste” as in cut/copy/paste as opposed to solderpaste in many languages suggesting some kind of automatic translation has been applied to the language files and checked in without proof reading.
There is also another issue where translated strings are mixed up. I did not look into other language-files, this applies to the swedish translation.
msgid “Problems writing configuration file”
msgstr “Konfigurationfil för snabbtangenter”
msgstr translates to “Configuration file for hotkeys” which is clearly not the right string
I tracked back to commit https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad-i18n/-/commit/6ad8551aa7ba7e835c3b446b9b13ae44d0d211ab
going back to 2018.
I’ve have started to correct the Swedish translation at weblate to something at least comprehensible but wanted to inform that there may be issues with many of the other language translations as well, and should be looked into by someone knowledgeable. I would advise to if possible revert the auto-translated strings as it really destroys the experience. An english string can be googled, but a wrongfully translated string can be impossible to understand.
Oh, and a big thank you to everyone who’s involved in this awesome software!