Something is wrong with language translations

Sure:

Computadora - Ordenador
Archivo - Fichero
Circuito impreso - Placa (?)

that last one was actually when I stop with the translation, as I never heard it before but realized that I have never really done/learn electronics in Spanish … :relaxed:

ಠ_ಠ

Only thing I do in weblate is accept suggestions and keep it in line with our repo. Definitely don’t know Finnish and couldn’t comment on whether that translation is valid. It looks like the previous translation had file extensions and someone suggested updating to remove them. When you click the accept button, it gets registered to your account, so quite a few mods will have my account on them.

Can we just opt not to auto translate it and leave it english until someone in weblate does it?

We can turn off the ability to show automatic suggestions. But that prevents actual translators from using the feature.

Not sure how big of a help they are but presumably, it acts like a dictionary.

We’ve tried turning off the “Suggestions” feature but that doesn’t seem possible.

A quick look at the Indonesian version and Weblate complains about repeated words as an error.
That is how the Malay language family do plurals

Thanks. Ordenador is common, but computadora ( also computador) are also used.
Fichero and archivo are interchangeable, we use both.
And printed circuit board is Placa de circuito impreso. At my work we use “circuito impreso”, “placa” or even just “impreso”. The same with circuito integrado, we use integrado alone many times.
I also fought with schematic. Many people say esquemático and the right word is esquema (or esquema de conexionado eléctrico).
Even the Academy has approved librería(bookshop) as well as biblioteca (library), a false friend.

I would tend to user “librería” as it sound similar to “library”, but thinking about it I believe “biblioteca” would be more fitting, both of them would be easily understood in my opinion.

I would normally translate PCB as “Tarjeta de circuito impreso”, as I never heard “placa” before. “Esquemático” is also the term that I would normally use or “Diagrama”/“Diagrama electrónico” but never “Esquema” or “Conexionado”. :crazy_face:

I am also sure that people from different countries in Latin América will use different words, specially informally. :grinning:

If there is interest, we can split the Spanish translations into “Spanish (Traditional)” and “Spanish (Latin American)” We have a similar split for Chinese. But this does require more translator effort.

That is very nice! but definitely not interest from my part, as I mention I’ve mostly use software in English. Thanks anyway.

It’s not useful to try to read the finnish .po file, but at least it’s entertaining. Here are some excerpts. I try to backtranslate to show to English speakers how it feels like.

• “Create tracks and vias”: Create objects and messages
  • “Load Raytracing: board”: Load recognition of ray: stave
  • “Environment Colors”: Environment variables [fuzzy translation]
  • “Solder paste:”: Upper soldering glue [fuzzy but wrong in any context]
  • “Board Layers”: Layers of government
  • “Clip silkscreen at via annuli”: Cut silkscreen via[translated literally, nonsense] ring [fuzzy]
  • “Disable vias”: Disable viias [nonsense plus added grammatical error]
  • “Insufficient permissions to save file ‘%s’.”: Enough priviledges are not needed for saving the file"
  • “Flip Board”: Flipping stave
  • “sq. mils”: square meters
  • “sq. in”: square meters
  • “cu. in”: (“cu.” not translated but taken literally; “in” like “not out”)
  • “Additional Contributions By”: Additional bets written by
  • “The next time KiCad is launched, any paths that have already\n” etc… (could you understand the next translation?):
  • Next time, when KiCad is started, all paths, which have already been defined will be given honor and all settings are defined in path\n defining window will be passed over. If you didn’t intend\n this problem either name conflicting markings again or remove them\n from outer environment variable (s) from your system.
  • “Via Size”: (via = through) Through the size
  • “Filter Nets”: Filtering nets (nets which do filtering)
  • “Net class filter:” Net class filter (but not how you would think; “net” like in “net weight, net salary”!)
  • Likewise in many items “net” is translated wrongly: “Net name filter:”, “Assign Net Class”, “New net class:”, “Net Info”…
  • “Output Messages”: Leaving messages
  • “Footprint”: Joint picture
  • “Board Text”: Text of government
  • “Leader”: Leader (like the boss, director)
  • “Schematic Marker”: Formula mark
  • My favorite: “Bus Entry”: Omnibus car connection (I’m not going to use KiCad for personal transportation!)

Maybe these examples from the first ~5% of the file are enough to show what it’s like. There are much more fuzzy translations. Of course there are also correct translations. You can guess if this is a useful translation for a non-English speaking user or not.

I would normally translate PCB as “Tarjeta de circuito impreso”, as I never heard “placa” before.

‘Placa de circuito impresso’ is how we call it in portuguese (brazillian at least), so it may have spread to other latin american contries.

I prefer keeping everything related to computers in english as it makes life easier in general (specially when searching for error messages), and a lot of technical terminology are very hard to translate.

My suggestion to improve translations in general is to have some translation guide for every language so we can use technical terms in a consistent way. It doesn’t need to be extensive, just a list of conventions should be enough.

In weblate we should be using the glossary function for that.

Example, this is the spanish glossary

Humm, it certanly helps, though sometimes some context should be given, specially on terms that would be translated differently depending on the original intent.

Also, it may be a good idea to split Brazilian Portuguese from European Portuguese, reading the translation history I see one contributor changing translated sentences from pt-br to pt-pt, it may make some people upset.

We could. Generally, we only do this by request of someone who wants to take on the new language.

I don’t think the current situation is ideal either though…at least we should perhaps declare the full variant of the current languages so people know how to translate. Either we declare Spanish as Euro Spanish or Latin American Spanish.
Rather than leaving this constant flipflop brewing.

Can someone give a short description of how this weblate works?

If I click on the the link in Rill79’s first post, then I can just immediately start clicking through strings and translating them.
Does that really work, or do such changes disappear into nothingness?
I’m guessing that stuff entered there, and collected for review at certain intervals.
At what sort of time frame should I think before translations made there show up in KiCad-nightly V5.99?

I know of a small Dutch speaking (written) electronics forum.
https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum
I could post a message there for a general call for people wanting to help with translations.
It may be a good place to ask for help from people who prefer Dutch, and know the technical terms in Dutch, and hopefully some know enough English and are willing to help.

I’m guessing that this forum mostly see people who are quite comfortable with English, or beginners with KiCad who may not be comfortable with the technical terms at all.

I just registered a new account on weblate (@afg), I can offer some of my time to translate to pt-br.

Yes. That’s how it works. It is nice to sign up for a username so that the translations are tracked to your account. Also, please avoid the suggestions.

We don’t review translations. Reviews only happen between translators and we can back out bad translations if you ask us.

Once per week, usually first thing Monday morning, US Pacific time, I’ll merge commits and update the translations. If you need it sooner, just ask.