[SOLVED] So disappointed.with KiCad

If you asked 4 years ago I would probably be able to say how I’ve done it but it need not be helpful for you. I am using symbols and footprints only from my own libraries and I have done libraries as a first task when moving from Protel to KiCad. So my task was to still have my libraries and your is probably to successfully replace KiCad V4 libraries with KiCad V7 libraries.

It’s not easy to give a step by step guidance, because it depends on what you want to do. For example, do you want to update footprints to KiCad’s V7 footprints, or do you want to keep the old KiCad V4 footprints and/or schematic symbols?

What is this?

Which libraries do you want to migrate and why?

In KiCad V6 and newer, all schematic symbols and footprints are saved inside the schematic and PCB files. There is no real dependency on external libraries, although each symbol and footprint does retain a link to some external library, it is quite safe to either ignore or disable the warnings for this.

I assume you want to keep your project as much the same as it is, that means keeping the footprints. Before you do anything, I recommend you backup your project. Backing up regularly gives you an option to always revert to a relatively current state if you make big mistakes.

Then try this:
1.PCB Editor / File / Export footprints to new Library

• Make it project specific.
  • Answer with Yes if KiCad asks: Update foootprints on board to refer tonew library.
  1. PCB Editor / Tools / Update Schematic from PCB
  • This is the other way around from the normal flow!
  • Take some time to look at the check boxes and options before you continue.
  1. Schematic Editor / Inspect / Electrical Rules Checker
  • A lot of the library warnings should have disappeared now.

Then go back to this forum and report the next subject you are still struggling with.

I take it I would have my version 4.0.7 loaded into 7 right? before updating footprints on board to new lib.?

No, I just wanted to keep my version 4.0.7 libraries.
After reading all that I have read it’s a bit confusing on actually what to do.

Thanks will001

I just wanted to keep my version 4.0.7 libraries.
After reading all that I have read it’s a bit confusing on actually what to do.
Thanks
will001

Personal Libraries or Kicad Libraries or both?

Also, what is your Operating System?

At the moment your PCB presumedly still uses the KiCad V4 library footprints. (This means KiCad V7 must have imported them from the [project]-cache.lib or [project]-rescue.lib) The method I described simply exports the footprints which are currently on the PCB to a new library. It does not change anything on the PCB at all (except that it updates the footprint links to point to your new library).

win10 64 all updated

Wanted to keep my v4.0.7 libraries going into 7. both

I have ubunta but I’m not ready for this type of stuff in that.

Is it your personal libraries you wish to keep for use in 7?

If possible at least all of version 4.0.7 libraries. But if I can any personal libraries. (which I don’t do many of them with the exception of 3d models I get from freecad.

The libraries supplied in Kicad 7 are upgraded and much improved over the Kicad 4 libraries. It is honestly not worth trying to move the Kicad 4 supplied libraries.

You have installed Kicad 7. I’d suggest you look at these libraries. I don’t remember what library names were used in 4, but you will find the basic symbols in the library called “Device”. Check to make sure you downloaded the Kicad 7 symbol and footprint libraries with your 7 installation.

Yes, thinking that the improved 7 libraries were solid is where all this started. lol
There are slight footprint name changes as far as I can tell. I don’t know why they just did not leave them.
I am asking because my memory at 77 is far from 30 years of age memory, and 30 years is a long time for remembering anything.
Also, your referring the github 7 libraries right?? Actually, not positive on how to load them. Been loading them manually.
Thanks will001

The Kicad libraries should install with the program. They are not on Github. Open one of your converted project files and check to see if the libraries installed.

He, he, I’ve made it to the 70s also (probably why I can’t remember Kicad 4) :grinning:

Dang, I’m not alone. Are you USA or ?

Other end of the planet.

Victoria, Australia.

And on this forum, we are not alone with regards to age!!!
https://forum.kicad.info/t/poll-age-grouping-for-forum-users/39329

You sounded like a friendly. I was very close a buddy years ago from Assie. That was back when I was young and handsome lol. Got very close the the continent coming home from vietnam.as was crossed the equator.

OMG about the age, had no idea

I was being polite by stopping at “Over 60” with the poll.:grin:

Anyway, have the Kicad 7 Libraries installed along with the drawing program?

lol I will do just that. Perhaps someone will make a Kicad bible.

Many thanks jmk, I owe ya. Stay well and safe. God Bless!

Very Good morning to ya.

Will001

1 Like

I’m off for my evening meal now: I said the other side of the planet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeppers forgot it’s evening there… O well. Have a great day. Thanks again!
Will001