[SOLVED] So disappointed.with KiCad

If possible at least all of version 4.0.7 libraries. But if I can any personal libraries. (which I don’t do many of them with the exception of 3d models I get from freecad.

The libraries supplied in Kicad 7 are upgraded and much improved over the Kicad 4 libraries. It is honestly not worth trying to move the Kicad 4 supplied libraries.

You have installed Kicad 7. I’d suggest you look at these libraries. I don’t remember what library names were used in 4, but you will find the basic symbols in the library called “Device”. Check to make sure you downloaded the Kicad 7 symbol and footprint libraries with your 7 installation.

Yes, thinking that the improved 7 libraries were solid is where all this started. lol
There are slight footprint name changes as far as I can tell. I don’t know why they just did not leave them.
I am asking because my memory at 77 is far from 30 years of age memory, and 30 years is a long time for remembering anything.
Also, your referring the github 7 libraries right?? Actually, not positive on how to load them. Been loading them manually.
Thanks will001

The Kicad libraries should install with the program. They are not on Github. Open one of your converted project files and check to see if the libraries installed.

He, he, I’ve made it to the 70s also (probably why I can’t remember Kicad 4) :grinning:

Dang, I’m not alone. Are you USA or ?

Other end of the planet.

Victoria, Australia.

And on this forum, we are not alone with regards to age!!!
https://forum.kicad.info/t/poll-age-grouping-for-forum-users/39329

You sounded like a friendly. I was very close a buddy years ago from Assie. That was back when I was young and handsome lol. Got very close the the continent coming home from vietnam.as was crossed the equator.

OMG about the age, had no idea

I was being polite by stopping at “Over 60” with the poll.:grin:

Anyway, have the Kicad 7 Libraries installed along with the drawing program?

lol I will do just that. Perhaps someone will make a Kicad bible.

Many thanks jmk, I owe ya. Stay well and safe. God Bless!

Very Good morning to ya.

Will001

1 Like

I’m off for my evening meal now: I said the other side of the planet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeppers forgot it’s evening there… O well. Have a great day. Thanks again!
Will001

And still: did you include the Kicad 7 libraries with your install and have you looked at them yet? :grinning:

Hi, there is a question I’d like to ask. Do you want to keep the original project unchanged or do you want to modify it and create new gerber files?

In the first case, in 4.0.7 I would create a custom library from the layout as all the footprints are included in the project.kicad_pcb file. Then, I would open the project in v7 and use that custom library. Maybe kicad will ask you if you want to convert your custom library to v7. I cannot test it now.

In the second case, you may want to use the standard v7 libraries. The process is the same but after opening the project with v7 you should update each one with the v7 libraries.

Chipping in somewhat - from reading multiple posts and answers from the forum - generally speaking it seems the safest cause of action is to upgrade sequentially especially with the older versions
So for 4-5-6-7 not 4-7 or even 4-6

Hello pedro,
Blessing my friend.
My whole intention was to carry my project from 4.0.7 into version 7.0.7.
I am doing my best to recollect what the many functions of Ver 4 were. The version 4.0.7
is ancient and there are all kinds of advise floating around. How would you create your custom library pedro? And how do you update a new version of kicad’s libraries. “with v7 you should update each one with the v7 libraries”
Thanks my friend
Will001.

I agree Docara. Please keep in mind that my gerbers from the affected projects are safe and intact. I tried to upgrade to 7 just to see if I could. I appreciate each and ever one of you who work hard at your own projects, and how you all have expressed your desire to help me in one way or another. It’s this type of group that has made Kicad what it is today. I far as I can tell, that is quite something, considering just how far Kicad has come. Everyone should be dang proud.
Will001

Thank you paulvdh for the information,
I am digesting everything I have received from those trying to help.
FYI , I was and am trying to keep all libraries from 4.0.7 going into 7.0.7.
This version will be my last as I will be 78 years old this year and have some health issues.
7 is all anyone would ever need, knowing that programs like Freecad etc etc are available.
Blessings my friend
Will001

Actually jmk, I have not had time yet, but I am headed in that direction. Thanks
will001

Your suggestion is how I plan on doing it. Please keep in mind like some I am struggling to remember how kicad worked. I have been using easy EDA for sometime because it was convenient. Thank you for your help.
Will001

In pcbnew File-> Export → Footprints to new library (or footprints to library or something like that). At least in v6, the lowest version I can run in my computer.

Your custom libraries cannot be saved in the same folder as the standard libraries. Save them somewhere under your /home/your_user.

About updating to v7 footprints, it can be done in some ways after opening the project in v7.
One of them is running the Footprint assigning tool in the schematic and replace the footprints with the ones of v7. Maybe some rework of all tracks must be done.

Or save the custom library created in v4.0.7 as v7 (there should be some tool to do it, I have never done it). In this case I think no track reworking is needed.