PCB Editor crash on Startup

I have upgraded from KiCad 5 to KiCad 7, one project I created in the old version opens fine, schemetic, PCB, 3D view. But another bigger project created in the older version opens in schemetic and asked to rescue some parts. It all went well. (nothing left to rescue). But if I update PCB or try to open PCB editor then a Progress bar pops up, nothing happens. Lapse Time stay at 00.00.00 then after a few seconds the entire KiCad closes.
I reinstalled my Windows and some paths outside of the kicad file system have changed. Like I moved my project folder location etc. Could this be the reason? Any advice where to start to resolve this?

When I installed V6 I opened all my V5 projects and saved them just to not left them as V5 for expected future KiCad versions (V7, V8,…).
This week I installed V7.0.1 and opened all my V6 projects and saved just to not left them as V6 for expected future KiCad versions (V8, V9,…).
May be if you open that project with V6 and save and than open with V7 it will open without problems.

Developers are interested in projects that crush KiCad, I think. So you can report a bug with your project attached.
If you can attach here zip of all files of your project than may be someone (not me) can help. I suppose there are people who build KiCad from source so may be they are able to run it under debugger to find what is the reason of crush. Who knows…

It’s unfortunate, but bugs do happen, and this has the smell of one.
If your project is not confidential, you can upload it here to see if anyone of us can reproduce it before making a bug report. (But you need to gain some “experience” first to get though the anti-spam bot. See: New Member Information)

If your project is confidential, you can create an issue on gitlab and mark your issue as confidential. That way only a small group of people can see it. But they can not help you without the project itself.

If you can narrow down the issue to a small part of your project (maybe a schematic symbol or footprint), then you can also do the above with just that part of the project that shows this behavior. Making a list of the parts that need the “rescue” would be a first attempt in narrowing the issue down. The developers are also a scarce resource for KiCad. Bugs that crash KiCad get a very high priority, but anything you can do to make your project smaller and thus easier for them to analyze is a plus.

Thanks for the response.
Well this is the issue, it is a clients IP so to publish it publicaly may have legal issues. My T&C will allow me to share it with a specific person who works on or provide support on this issue. But in a public domain is not permitted.

I just wonder why it would open another project created on the same installation and PC, but a this project does not open. It seems to be specific to the project. I was thinking a path dependancy… not sure.

I managed to open a auto_saved backup, it opens PCB editor but no design, just an error saying “Unhandled exception class: class std::bad_function_call what: bad function call”

We have confidential issues on GitLab for this use case.

You don’t have to be developer, to provide debug call stack. Use WinDbgPreview to run the Executable, and see the backtrace.

I use only Builder 5 (rather old compiler). I know that if I compile with Debug option switched on then I can run program breaking it at selected source line and then go step by step watching variables to find the place where something is wrong.
I hear for the first time that I can do something like debug with any executable. I can’t imagine what can be found if I have only exe (no source). May be the disassembled code can be shown, but it tells me nothing.
Don’t have time to explore this topic.

I have tried to see what I can find with WinDbgPreview. But it does not tell me much I can understand. The last few comments before crashing is:

ModLoad: 00007ffe9e7b0000 00007ffe9e845000 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DUser.dll
ModLoad: 00007ffec28a0000 00007ffec28d6000 C:\WINDOWS\system32\xmllite.dll
ModLoad: 00007ffead780000 00007ffead78d000 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\atlthunk.dll
ModLoad: 00007ffeca340000 00007ffeca3e9000 C:\WINDOWS\System32\clbcatq.dll
ModLoad: 00007ffea7520000 00007ffea7740000 C:\WINDOWS\system32\explorerframe.dll
(46c.2a68): C++ EH exception - code e06d7363 (first chance)
(46c.2a68): C++ EH exception - code e06d7363 (first chance)
(46c.2a68): C++ EH exception - code e06d7363 (!!! second chance !!!)
KERNELBASE!RaiseException+0x69:
00007ffe`c8a3cd29 0f1f440000 nop dword ptr [rax+rax]

Do you have Sentry crash reporting turned on? If so, if you DM me your Sentry ID (can find in preferences) I can check if the details of this crash were uploaded.

Try to check View → Stack

Thank you guys, while the exact cause of the crash is not clear. I took Piotr’s initial advice and installed KiCad 6 and took the origional project I had backed up and opened it in V6, it made a few fundamental changes. I saved it and open that in V7 and it accepted it. It all works well there is a step that V6 takes which V7 is dependant on. Converting polygon planes were one of the changes.

Good to know. I thought I was exaggerating wasting my time opening all the old projects every time the major version number changed (4->5, 5->6, 6->7 till now). But it turns out it makes sense.

I think you should report a bug with V5 project crashing V7.

1 Like

I have the same issue with some v5 files. The project also has polygons. I’m downloading v6 to implement the process above.

The project can be found here it it can help: Dropbox - TAS3251JMF_MCU_Clean.zip - Simplify your life

Best regards,

JMF

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.