Pcbnew crash while opening V5 PCB

Hello,

i want to report a bug in pcbnew. (V7.0.2)
I want to open an older project made by V5. Schematics can be opened but PCB crashes.

PCB files header is This:
(kicad_pcb (version 20171130) (host pcbnew “(5.1.0)-1”)

Can somebody advice me whats to do?

BR
THaala

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Welcome. See this FAQ on how to increase your user level to 1 to be able to post attachments:

Or wait for an admin to increase your level.

When you can post an attachment, zip up the project, and attach to your post. Also paste information about your KiCad install from Help > About > Version.

Then we can check if your problem can be replicated.

retiredfeline thanks for the advice.
i am able to post the version info i am using:
Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.2, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 6.0.0
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Apr 15 2023 19:18:27
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.81.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
ngspice: 40
Compiler: Visual C++ 1934 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I have posted the pcb file after eaching level 1.
BR
THaala (have choosen new user account name)
DuetWifi.kicad_pcb (2.7 MB)

Please could somebody advice me how to report that Bug to Developers of Kicad?

BR
THaala

Opens fine in pcbnew for me. I’m using 7.0.1.

See if other people on this forum can open the board or not.

Also opens perfectly on 7.0.2 and 7.99 with Mint 22

BTW are you one of those people who upgraded directly from v5 to v7? I can’t find those threads readily but for some people the presence of v5 config files caused problems with v7 operation.

The fix is to move the v5 and v7 user configuration (somewhere under %APPDATA% in Windows I forget where) out of the way, then run v7, accepting the default libraries. Any personal libraries should be registered again. Then you should have a fresh set up.

Hupps,

that suprise me. I am not jumping from V5 to V7 but some projects are “forgotten” and not updated while switching to new version of kicad.
Thank you for your efforts. So i do not need to report a bug but must search now whats going wrong locally. I will try to make a fresh installl of Kicad.

BR
THaala

Hello again,

after deinstall & clean registry & clean filesystem & clean %appdata% folders i have reinstalled kicad.
Disabling other (may be…) disturbuing installations i have reduced the system path to the minimum
Path=c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\wbem;c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0

I have tried to open the pcb as poor as possible with
C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0\bin>pcbnew.exe e:\KICAD\DuetWifi.kicad_pcb

now i got some hint more while “Loading PCB”:
“Unhandled exception class: class std::bad_function_call what bad function call”
pcbnew closes after that,

std lib comes from boost as far as i know but i have no more ideas to slove this…

Seems i found other user have the same problem…

BR,
THaala

v7 has some debug info gathering capabilities, hopefully one of the experts will explain how to enable that.

In the meantime, make sure all your system components are up to date, libraries, video drivers, etc.

PS: I did notice a popup on my system saying it was converting to polygons or something like that like other people reported. Edit: “The segment zone fill mode is no longer supported. Convert zones to smooth polygon fills?” Cancel/Convert

PPS: You can install v5, v6 and v7 alongside on Windows so if you are keen to get things working, you could open in v6, save, then open in v7. But it would be good to get to the bottom of this.

Success,

retiredfeline - after deinstall 7 then install latest V6 - i was welcomed with the message you mentioned at your last post. Saving each project and then open it with fresh installed V7.0.2 it is working again.

Thank you for Help. I hope this helps others too…

BR
THaala

2 Likes

Glad it worked. I don’t think you need to remove v6 or even v5 in between, they are installed to separate directories in Windows; you just need to run the version you want.

I also saw this, clicked convert and all went well.
I didn’t mention because I rarely download PCBs so assumed it was normal.

This is likely Fix opening boards with deprecated features. (9d452a60) · Commits · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

2 Likes

Hello,

about my understanding - Jeff has reactivated some actions in Kicad (next release) which comes up with same messages i have had in V6.11 about converting actions!?

I think thats a good behave about downward comapatibility because of some Projects can grow old before reactivation.

BR
Thaala

It was actually just a latent bug which happened to get exposed by the upgrade message (the upgrade code has always been in there).

And it was fixed by Aleksandr, not I. I’m just the messenger. :wink:

Cheers,
Jeff.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.