KiCad Simulation problem

Hi,
I created a schematic, exported a .net netlist and opened the simulator.
filled in the sim command screen.
When starting the simulator, it says “no circuit loaded”.
I am puzzled, because I cannot find an instruction on how to load a circuit, and looking to youtube videos, they also just start within schematic going to simulation.
any suggestion.
thanks in advance
best regards
Ludo

KiCad version?
OS? Version?
Which simulator?
Very basic information for a good question.

Hi,
Kicad 7.0.6
Windows 10
Simulator within kicad
Regards
Ludo

Can you upload the entire project (as a .zip preferably) including any models you’re using? That will help clarify where you are getting stuck.

It sounds like you might have been watching an older video, since you do not need to export a netlist in order to use the built-in simulator in v7. There is an option to export SPICE netlist within the simulator if the goal is to use an external executable of ngspice or similar, but I suspect that isn’t what you want to do here.

As Scandey says, no need to export a netlist. Just start the simulator from the “Inspect” menu.
Run ERC first to find obvious problems in the schematic.
Generally don’t expect the ngspice error messages to make sense. What the error really is and what’s reported are two different worlds.

Hi,
This is clear, and confirms my confusion…did not find it logic to export the netlist if you stay in kicad…
Have done an erc check, no errors, exept in the “non connected items” (niet verbonden items(1)), it shows ".spicemodel issue.
I can send a picture, but do not know how to upload.
I also have something weard when simulating.
I get following :
Warning: there is no circuit loaded.
Command ‘remcirc’ is ignored.
Error: Missing token in line 166:
link=f:\mc9\data\diffamp.cir
Please correct the input file

I do not understand where link=f:\mc9\data\diffamp.cir is coming from, is not in my schematic/directory.
regards
Ludo

Hi Scandy,
How can I upload, I do not see a button for this.
regards
Ludo

When you are writing a forum message, there should be a small button in the bottom right with an arrow pointing up. Pressing that should let you select a file from your computer and upload it to the forum.

1 Like

Hi Scandy,
found it :smiley:
PE1542_7V_2.rar (33.0 KB)
In the netlist added, you can see I took libraries from Microcap /MC12/…xx.
Resistors and capacitors are taken as build in spice models.
One item I am not sure of is the UA723, where I used a UA723.MAC model from MC12.
I hope you can guide me to solve this.
I also added a message saying "not connected items(1) (niet verbonden items…in dutch/flemish ), that says : .spice model issue.
spicemodelissue
Is this really an issue, or should there be a description of errors ?
looking forward to your feedback.
regards
Ludo

Please do not use *.rar, but *.zip, so that also non-Windows users may offer support.

Unfortunately you did not add all the models used to your *.rar. Please do not expect that others will start searching for the models, just to support you. So add them (all) to your zip file.

Quickest support will be available if you offer a zip file, which after expanding, will run (and fail) out-of-the-box.

2 Likes

https://7-zip.org/download.html

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/3f550826d8/

Hi Holger,
Have to check for zip…I am always automatically using rar, and did not anticipate this to be a problem.
Sorry for the models…was not intentionally…I thought that you have all these microcap models of the shelve and you just needed to know the names. Does this mean that I have to extract each model from the manufacturers file and put it in a separate file ?
Regards
Ludo

Yes. And you have to attach each model to the symbol in question.

With a text editor I have replaced the OPs location for the uCap models in PE1542_7V_2.kicad_sch (C:\MC12\LIBRARY) with the location of my uCap installation. Then I am able to start a simulation. I am now getting similar error messages.

Now the best way to analyze the error, it is advisable to have a look at the spice netlist generated by Eeschema and sent to ngspice.
Eeschema–>File–>Export–>Netlist–>Spice–>Export Netlist.

UA723.MAC is not containing a spice model file. So a lot of strange text is loaded into ngspice.

There seems to be no “official” model for the 723. This IC is simply too old. You may find a model here: lm723 ripple rejection ratio @100kHz | Forum for Electronics (I did not test it).

Hi Holger,
Thank you for this.
Have loaded the LM723 model, changed my schematic to have the 14 pin version, as the model was for the 14 pin, not the 10 pin I had used.

Not sure yet if it works, as at the beginning of the simulation I have already a few errors that I do not understand :

1. Check line no 712: ;$spicetype=pspice…
    Netlist line no. 3291:Undefined parameter [bzx84c6v8t]
    …may more …

Where / in wich file can I find these lines ? My spice file only has 165 lines.

2. Warning: redefinition of .subckt mun5133dw1t1_sgl, ignored…

I do not have such a subckt in my schematic models. How can I find out where the simulator gets this
info from ?

regards
Ludo

If its not in your netlist, it is in the models you have included.

Please post your updated project as a zip file here. I will have a look.

PE1542_7V_2.7z (24.5 KB)
Hi holger, file loaded

Please check the spice model for the transistor BCY59. You have attached a model named RG59U, which is the transmission line model for a coax cable named RG59U, probably not what you wanted…