KiCad 8.0.0 not notifying of update on startup?

First off, hats off to the KiCad developer team on the release of KiCad 8 - it just keeps getting better!

I’ve been running 8.0.0 since it was released, and looking forward to installing the 8.0.1 bug fix version. I noticed this morning it’s available on the KiCad site, and I remembered that there are supposed to be automatic notifications of updates on startup (I have the option for “Check for KiCad updates on startup” checked in KiCad Settings > Packages and Updates). However, I’m not getting any notifications about an available update even after restarting the app (and my machine).

Anyone else having this problem?

I don’t have 8 yet, but could you be referring to this setting from 7?

That’s for the Plugin and Content Manager, not the application.

Looks like a new feature in v8 to alert when there is supposed to be a update. Maybe not implemented fully yet or a bug?

Not working for me either under Ubuntu 23.10

We are waiting a few days after the release before we enable the notification, a kind of “slow roll-out” in case there are any big problems with 8.0.1 (doesn’t seem like there are any so far, though)

4 Likes

Not specific to this issue but referencing.

Update detection is working now, but both View Details and Open Downloads Page only open a blank browser window. Skip this version resets at launch, does exactly the same as remind me later. I would expect that Skip this version will ignore the server side flag until the version increments.