JLCPCB gives me warnings on .drill and edge cuts

Hello,

Previously I’ve been making boards myself using the toner transfer method. This is my first attempt to submit a board for manufacture. The only layers that I know are correct are the top and bottom copper. These are the only ones that I’ve actually used. I expect that I have an error in my design that’s causing JLCPCB to give these warnings.

In the submitted Gerber files, I get a warning from JLCPCB on Edge_Cuts.gbr and PTH.drl. They look OK in KiCad GerberView. Also, JLCPCB has a Gerber viewer called EasyEDA Gerber viewer. The files also look OK in the EasyEDA viewer. It looks like all of the holes are present from the dril files. No idea what’s going on with edge_cuts.

Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this?

Below are pictures of my KiCad config and the JLCPCB errors.

This is an open source project. If you need to see the Gerber files or KiCad project I can put them up on the web. That’s also why I’d like to get boards professionally made. I’m getting requests for boards. Making them in quantity is just not practical using toner transfer.

I’d appreciate any help or suggestions to solve this problem.

@#$%!!.. Looks like new users can only attach one picture. Below is an HTTP link to all of the pictures plus the gerbers and the Kicad project file.

Pictures and files

1 Like

Click “Use Protel filename extensions” before generating gerbers. Rename the drill file to .txt before submitting to JLC.

2 Likes

I selected “use protel” and renamed drill files to .txt. FYI, I have two drill files, PTH and NPTH. I have five non plated through holes on this board. I got the following error from JLCPCB:

For the drill file, select the “minimal header” option.

I just checked one of my recent JLC orders, and I also get the “Gerber file with a board outline” warning, and all the boards were made ok, so I think this warning can be ignored, provided that the Gerber file actually is the board outline, which it is in this case.

2 Likes

I selected the “minimal header” option and still have a warning on the PTH drill file. The NPTH drill file gives no warning.

I’ve always used a combined PTH/NPTH file, so I guess that exhausts my knowledge. I can’t think of a reason why one file is accepted but the other apparently not.

1 Like

I’ll combine the files and try again. I’ve done this before but not with changing the extension to .txt. Let’s see if this works…

I found some help on JLC site, https://support.jlcpcb.com/article/44-how-to-export-kicad-pcb-to-gerber-files, but it’s inconclusive with regard to NPTH files. My guess is they are expecting one drill file and their check flags an error on the second file.

It seems though that renaming the drill file is not necessary.

3 Likes

I tried a combined drill file. Got unrecognized gerber.

No idea what’s going on. I may just blow this design off to JLC and see what happens. It’s only a few wasted dollars if I get junk boards. The big problem is wasted time when I now have people that want boards.

Maybe one other thing to try, select the drill file as metric.

2 Likes

Same warning with metric. It’s late, time for me to sleep. I’ll play with this later.

You have some marks (fiducials?) in edge.cuts. There should be only the outline. Don’t use fiducials at all unless you really know what you are doing and why you need them and how the manufacturer would use them etc.

2 Likes

I downloaded the KiCad project and generated gerbers with my kicad (5.0.0). After uploading to JLC I just get the board outline warning.

The additional alignment targets on Edge cuts don’t seem to cause a problem.

Don’t use auxiliary axis as origin.

1 Like

Why not? Doesn’t make any difference…

“You have some marks (fiducials?) in edge.cuts” I have no idea what that means. I put some alignment targets outside of edge cuts so that I could align the copper layers for toner transfer. Should I remove these targeys?

Yes, manufacturers don’t like them.

It would be a good idea to reduce confusion, but it doesn’t appear to cause a problem with the analysis.

Just to be sure. It’s not needed and not useful in most cases, so I would leave it off in case of any possible problems.