If the device is placed on the B(F.Cu) side, it will no longer be displayed

The layer display shows both sides A and B.
Kicad version is 8.0.2.

Hi @RFboard

What is the problem?

Hi jmk

Device is placed on the B side, it will no longer be displayed.
The layer settings are set to display sides A and B.

Top view.

ksnip_20240404-190832

Bottom view

ksnip_20240404-190724

When placing on the bottom

When viewing

The views are always looking down on the board and then through the board to the other side.

I still don’t understand the problem. If you are afraid what will be when you place device at bottom then just do it and you will see if it will be displayed or not?
If you have checked and you don’t see it then what you understand as ‘device’?
You don’t see its pads or its courtyard rectangle or its mechanical shape. May be you have some of bottom layers display switched off (B.Cu, B.Courtyard, B.Fab).
Or may be you are speaking about 3D PCB view. If so then it is true - devices at B side are not visible through the PCB. But in 3D view you can rotate PCB.

8.0.2 has not been released yet. I presume that you mean “Testing”

B.Cu, B.Silkscreen, B.Fab etch are all visible? I see a part pads on the bottom and its there in the 3D viewer

davidsrsb

Thank you for your message.

I checked the software version and it was 8.0.1.

Piotr

Thank you for your message.

I placed an SMD chip resistor on the B side, but it is not displayed.

In image B, silk is displayed because the resistor is selected, but if it is not selected, nothing is displayed.

Top is A, bottom is B

jmk

This setting makes it look like it’s from side B, thank you.
Sorry for the confusing explanation.
I have set it to display all layers, but even when I move the resistor to side B, it is not displayed.

I didn’t installed V8 yet to avoid using potentially buggy version - I wanted only to make your information clearer for others :slight_smile: .

Here on Testing, I have a SMD part on the B side. Another part on the top side is selected
SMD_Bside

davidsrsb

Is the version you are using 8?

Piotr

I had another issue and updated the version.

8.0.1-125 Testing on Windows 10

Better stick to the KiCad abbreviations which are used in the layer names to be clear: F for front (facing you), and B for back. Leave the A and B side terminology for vinyl 45 RPM records (what’s that? people will ask :wink:).

Try this:

1. Go to the Objects tab.
  2. Check whether footprints are visible for the Front and the Back layer.

Hi @RFboard

Change the Layer in the Appearance Manager to B.Cu to get a better view of the Back (blue) side of the PCB. See my 4th screenshot above. Also take note of the differences between my first and second screenshots where the tracks cross each other.

Did you place the footprints for the back layer on the back layer? See my 3rd. screenshot. The arrow points to the side, in the footprint properties, that needs to be correctly set (Back, not Front, as shown) , for placement on the back of the board.
I see R61 & R62 both with red pads. This shows they have been placed on the Front layer. The pads for these resistors should be blue if they are placed on the Back layer.

My drawings were created on 8.0.1.

When you first place a SMT footprint, it will be on the Front of the board. You then have to open the Footprint Properties and change the side to Back. See below:

paulvdh

Thanks for the solution.

There is a high possibility that the object item was changed at the beginning of the transition to ver8.