Global library is no longer visible

Possible reason
I was planning to modify the board created with version 5.

What was done
I uninstalled and reinstalled version 7.0.9, but it didn’t improve.

Please suggest possible causes and solutions.

Operating System Please?

Which global libraries, Kicad or Personal or both?

It would be best to install the last Kicad 7.0.11 or the new 8, not 7.0.9

jmk

Thank you for your suggestion.

The OS is Windows10.

The problem was resolved by installing Kicad8.

2 Likes

Hi @RFboard

By installing 8, you showed the problem was with the Kicad libraries.

This is an explanation of your problem that has been cured by yourself:

The Library Tables in the Configuration Directory need to be deleted in order to get your libraries back when dealing with minor releases. eg; 7.0.9 to 7.0.9 or 7.0.10
Just uninstalling and reinstalling Kicad does not remove this problem.

Major Kicad releases, eg. 6, 7 & 8, when installed, automatically create new tables in the Config. This is why installing 8 has solved your problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

This FAQ explains where the Configuration Files for each OS are located, for your future reference.

1 Like

Hi jmk

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Where is the Library Tables stored?

They are the fp-lib-table and sym-lib-table files in KiCad’s configuration directory, which is: "~/.config/kicad/8.0" on Linux. These file may also exist in a project directory, for project specific libraries.

paulvdh

Thank you for the information.

The table file was in the same folder as the project file.

I tried the following, but the global library could not be confirmed on Kicad7.
① Replaced the table file with another file (table [backup] in the project that worked normally).
② Uninstall all installed kicad (5, 7, 8), delete the Kicad folder in the program folder, and reinstall 7.

After completing step 2, I was no longer able to open the project on Kicad7. We knew that projects edited in newer versions of Kicad would no longer work in older versions.

If you had opened and saved the project using Kicad 8, that project will no longer open in Kicad 7. You need to use Kicad 8.

You may have older backup versions somewhere that may open in 7.

This suggests your Library was a Project Library rather than a Global library.
You can check this by opening Manage Symbol Libraries and clicking on the Project Specific Libraries Tab rather than the Global Libraries.

jmk

The project library is used because it has an additional footprint.
I have confirmed that the global library is located below, but where are those table files usually located?

C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0\share\kicad\footprints