How to place the separate GND-track inside GND-copper zone?

Hi! I’m using Kicad v5.0.0. nightly build from April 17-th 2018.
Is there a method not to fill one or more of the GND-tracks with GND-copper zone? It possible to choose type of connection for pads (Pad->Properties->Local Clearance and Settings->Connection to Copper Zones->Pad Connection:->None). But I didn’t find anything like that for tracks.

A screenshot might help.

Make one of the pcb as it is now and use some graphics tool to draw what you want to achieve.

Also a reasoning as to why you want some gnd not connected with gnd.

Of course it connected to GND. But I need the current to flow into the certain point of the PCB.
The track how it need to be placed is marked by red. I’ve used some graphic tools to draw it connected to GND-pads.

If this track already connected to any of GND nets before filling the zone, the PCB looks like this after filling:

Can you use a net tie? Protip #2: net tie

Edit: This Altium document eplains it well if you don’t know what it is: https://www.smtnet.com/library/files/upload/NetTies-and-How-to-Use-Them.pdf

1 Like

Without seeing the schematic it would seem that a net-tie is not necessary, simply rename that net on your schematic instead of calling it “GND”.

It’s slightly tedious to do, but you can create a keepout for only ‘no copper pour’ around that trace and starting pad. That seems to clear and removes thermals.

1 Like

Everything is clear! I’ve made several net ties and got what I wanted.
Thanks a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.