1 electrical Net with several names

Hello, reading the post about planes without net assignment but vias I remembered another question I have :smirk:

When we wanted to seperate GND-Nets (GND, GNDA, VSS) we used 0R-dummy-resistors for the Schematic and connected the nets with copper, ignoring the DRC. :roll_eyes:

I think some programs have a special coupling-element to do this.
What is the correct way in KiCad to do this ?

Use a net tie. See How to place the separate GND-track inside GND-copper zone? and and the links a gave there. Nowadays KiCad even has net tie symbols and footprints in the standard library.

1 Like

Thank You,

just tested it. It does the job though I can not simply use a track. But I understand that there has to be an identifiable seperation Element for the SW. And I could define such SMD-Footprints according to my favorite track-width…

What do you mean by that? Did you want to use some copper element in the pcb side without a schematic symbol?

Yes, that’s how it’s done. Did you modify one of the existing KiCad net tie footprints? I have made one resembling a 0402 footprint with 0.16mm connecting copper strip. It can easily be cut with a knife if needed and even used as a resistor footprint. (GND nets may need thicker connection.)

I meant that KiCad might provide (by sheer magic :smiley:) a schematic part that results in a RatsNest Line without any shape.
OK, thats “unorthodox”.

I didnt use it up to now but your suggestions are what I will do …

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.