How can I have Kicad version v5 and the new v6 together in the same machine while v6 is not still official?

This discussion is not going to the right place.

I know how to use apt. I understand how it works. Thanks for the comments tho.

I have commented that Kicad 5.99 has landed on the Universe repo and the binary is called kicad and not kicad-nightly. Why? I have no clue since it is a temporary version that has its own ppa. Now it doesn’t have anymore. This looks a bug since something is overriding the stable version with a temporary binary. But sure, O understand this may not habe anything related with Kicad development.

Now, the suggestion still stands. Package creators could keep the current version of Kicad named kicad, and move old versions to kicad-version_number. this would allow the coexistence of all versions in the same machine in an easy way. This already exists and it is named kicad-nightly so instead of nightly we would have kicad-5 and kicad-4 since they could be created/organized in the same way. So a simple trick that already exists could be used to allow the coheshistense of different versions of the tool.

eelik, I appreciate your suggestion to build it myself. Sure, we already know that there is this solution available, always. But thanks anyways.

That’s only part of the problem. You also have to ensure that the user doesn’t accidentally run a version not intended. It happens with any versioned software and packagers with foresight have named the product App-version rather than just App and used mechanisms like /etc/alternatives to make a vanilla invocation use the selected version. Unfortunately sometimes foresight becomes hindsight.

TL;DR: It all depends on what the packager planned or didn’t, for.

For me this is simple. It’s not the proper way to install Kicad.

Weird thing is, leoheck has V5.99 and V6, while I have:

5.1.12-84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu20.04.1
6.9.9-unknown-0d1748c91c~144~ubuntu20.04.1

Which puts me into the same boat as:

Any project saved from V6.9.9 apparently can no longer be opened in V6.0.x anymore, so I’m apprehensive of even starting V6.9.9

For the moment I assume I just have to wait for this to get fixed.
I do hope it’s quickly though, as I’m hoping to proofread, revise and maybe add screenshots to gkeeth’s updated version of the “Getting started in KiCad” guide somewhere next week.

I have been messin’ a bit with trying to downgrade the nightly but I get stuck in such things very easily.

paul@cezanne:~$ history |grep kicad
51 sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-5.1-releases
53 sudo apt install --install-recommends kicad
54 sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-dev-nightly
56 sudo apt install kicad-nightly
138 rm kicad_history_2021-10-11.txt
175 git clone https://gitlab.com/paulvdhoeven/kicad-doc
177 git clone https://gitlab.com/paulvdhoeven/kicad-doc
182 cd kicad-doc
191 cd projects/linux/kicad-doc
192 meld src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc build/src/getting_started_in_kicad/en/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc
204 ls -l src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc
205 find . -newer src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc -name *.pdf
206 evince ./src/getting_started_in_kicad/en/getting_started_in_kicad.pdf
207 find . -newer src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc -name \getting*.pdf
208 find . -newer src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc -name getting*.pdf
209 find . -newer src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc -name getting*.pdf -ls
230 rm -rf kicad-doc
231 git clone https://gitlab.com/paulvdhoeven/kicad-doc.git
232 cd kicad-doc
238 evince src/getting_started_in_kicad/en/getting_started_in_kicad.pdf
240 evince src/getting_started_in_kicad/en/getting_started_in_kicad.pdf
246 cd projects/linux/kicad-doc
249 evince src/getting_started_in_kicad/en/getting_started_in_kicad.pdf &
251 evince src/getting_started_in_kicad/en/getting_started_in_kicad.pdf &
262 git add …/src/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.adoc
347 cd projects/kicad/zzz_Internet/
392 apt-cache policy kicad
399 cat kicad*
401 cat kicad*
402 apt-cache policy kicad
407 apt show kicad-nightly
408 apt info kicad-nightly
409 apt version kicad-nightly
411 sudo apt reinstall kicad-nightly=5.99
412 apt cache showpkg kicad-nightly
413 apt-cache showpkg kicad-nightly
435 history |grep kicad

So at the moment I’m still assuming it will “fix itself” somewhere soon. (Of course thanks to all the great people working hard on the KiCad project).

You cannot run 5.1 and 6.0 side-by-side using the Ubuntu PPAs. You can only run the latest stable and latest nightly side-by-side (so, currently 6.0 and 6.99)

If you want 6.0 stable, you need to add the kicad/kicad-6.0-releases PPA in place of kicad/kicad-5.1-releases.

If you need to run 6.0 stable and 5.1 stable on Ubuntu, you’ll need to use FlatPak or build from source.

Thanks for the quick response.
Message is loud and clear.

@jsreynaud is our Ubuntu packager, maybe he can comment on the feasibility of doing this for the PPAs.

it would be useful to have an AppImage for this? That would solve issues on dependencies…

We have a Flatpak for this purpose. If someone also wants to maintain an AppImage, that would be fine too…

It seems that AppImage is already maintained, but not officially supported / endorsed

@paulvdh I am seeing v5.99 only if I enable Universe source on apt configs. This is not the default thing, I believe. But I still think that version of Kicad should not be there. I just don’t know where to report it yet.

Well, if the Appimage is good and mayo the easiest way to have concurrent versions of the tool then it is fine. I use to use apt since it will upgrade packages automatically everytime I upgrade my computer (which happens in a daily base). Yeah, I am crazy, maybe. Does Appimage has something that keep packages upgraded when they have updates?

How Appimage works with the accessory files? For instance. I would like to have Python’s API of version 5 available for too. And since it is an Appimage it is going to be installed in a different place, right? Where is this place?

I just had a look at https://www.kicad.org/download/linux-mint/ and it looks like it’s already fixed. I see new repositories for a:

ppa:kicad/kicad-6.0-releases

(And also for Ubuntu)

At the moment they do not work for me though. For the last few days I’m having a problem with some internet sites that do not work. for example EEVblog also has not worked properly for a few days now. I assume it’s network related and I only have to wait for it to get fixed.

paul@cezanne:~$ sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-6.0-releases
[sudo] password for paul:                  
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='launchpad.net', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)."'.

AppImage is perfect to be able to run old release of the sw… i.e. if the system is based on OCC 7.5 but your sw is built on OCC 6.8 you would be in trouble to have both on the same system… using AppImage for the old release, you’ll be fine
AppImage is something like Portable sw on win

It hasn’t been maintained/updated since 2019 with kicad 5.1.2

from the discussion I’ve read it seems there was some people aimed to maintain AppImage, but AppImage was never added to the official download page

there was also a long discussion at github here:

with @avb and @probono willing to help…

May be there is a chance to get AppImage working for kicad v5.1.12 or v5.1-testing … that woul at least give an easy way to use kicad 5 and 6 side by side in Linux

This worked for me. Maybe try again and see if you get the same error. I’ve been having some issues with launchpad.net over the past few days. Initial connection fails but then subsequent connections work.
I’ve just had a look at my sources file and its pointing to http and not https:

kicad-ubuntu-kicad-6_0-releases-focal.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu focal main

This motivated me to try it a few times in a row. On the fourth attempt I get a different message:

[sudo] password for paul:                  
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='launchpad.net', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/1.0/~kicad/+archive/kicad-6.0-releases (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7fdd24579790>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable'))."'.
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPConnectionPool(host='ppa.launchpad.net', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/dists/focal (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fd4750ad100>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable'))."'.
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPConnectionPool(host='ppa.launchpad.net', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/dists/focal (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f21dc496100>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable'))."'.
You are about to add the following PPA:
 Officials KiCad 6.0 releases

For the moment, 6.0.0 was not released. Only RC is available.
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~kicad/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-6.0-releases
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.iHu9bGFIeS/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-keys FDA854F61C4D0D9572BB95E5245D5502FAD7A805
gpg: key 245D5502FAD7A805: "Launchpad PPA for KiCad" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1

At the moment I’m not motivated to put much effort into this because of the incompatibility of V5.1.12 and V6.0.0-rc.

I can install KiCad-nightly V6.9.9, and that is probably good enough if I’m proofreading the “Getting Started in KiCad” guide, and try some things if they’re not clear. I just won’t update screenshots from V6.9.9 (Unless of trivial things).
For the rest I can wait until KiCad V6 has been released officially.

It has been, yesterday.

This looks like a issue with your internet, or maybe there are some issues with the CDN

Network is unreachable

See if you can browse to

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/

Then have a look under

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/pool/main/k/kicad/

You should see 6.0.0 listed for your version. So something like

kicad_6.0.0-1-202112231423+d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb

If its not there is points to some CDN issue. Maybe try again in a few hours.

I’ve loaded the source into Ubuntu 20.04 and it works 100%.
6.0 stable is released and it should install.

greg@greg-X553MA:~$ dpkg -l | grep kicad
ii  kicad                                      6.0.0-1-202112231423+d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu20.04.1 amd64        Electronic schematic and PCB design software
ii  kicad-demos                                6.0.0-1-202112231423+d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu20.04.1 all          Common files used by kicad
ii  kicad-doc-en                               6.0.0-1-202112240915+1826~29~ubuntu20.04.1        all          Kicad help files (English)
ii  kicad-footprints                           6.0.0-1-202112231422+3ea7895b0~11~ubuntu20.04.1   all          Kicad footprints (modules)
ii  kicad-libraries                            6.0.0-1-202112231422+8~ubuntu20.04.1              all          meta-package for dep to all KiCad libraries (symbols, footprints, templates and 3D models)
ii  kicad-packages3d                           6.0.0-1-202112231425+e607286d~9~ubuntu20.04.1     all          Kicad packages3d (3d models for footprints)
ii  kicad-symbols                              6.0.0-1-202112231425+275f22eb~7~ubuntu20.04.1     all          Kicad symbols (schematic)
ii  kicad-templates                            6.0.0-1-202112231423+3a422b5~9~ubuntu20.04.1      all          Kicad templates

On Ubuntu 21.10, after purgin all my kicad-related ppas and adding back ppa for 5.1 I cannot install it due to missing dependencies.

➜ sudo apt install kicad
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kicad : Depends: libngspice-kicad but it is not installable or
                  libngspice0 but it is not installable
         Recommends: kicad-libraries but it is not going to be installed
         Recommends: kicad-doc-en but it is not going to be installed
         Recommends: kicad-demos but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This is the one I am trying to install

➜ sudo apt-cache policy kicad
kicad:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.1.12-202111050918+84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu21.10.1
  Version table:
     5.1.12-202111050918+84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu21.10.1 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-5.1-releases/ubuntu impish/main amd64 Packages

Does this really need to be a dependency on this package?