Hi all, I am working on a KiCad AppImage for most Linux distributions.
An AppImage has, among others, these advantages:
* Works for most Linux distributions (including Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, CentOS, elementaryOS, Linux Mint, and others)
* Release and nightly versions available, can have them in parallel
* One app = one file = super simple for users: just download one AppImage file, make it executable, and run
* No unpacking or installation necessary
* No root needed
* No system libraries changed
* Just one format for all major distributions
* Works out of the box, no installation of runtimes needed
* Optional(!) desktop integration with
* Binary delta updates, e.g., for continuous builds (only download the binary diff) using AppImageUpdate
* Can GPG2-sign your AppImages (inside the file)
If you would like to test, download the AppImage file from
Download, make it executable, and run. Should work on most 2014-ish and later Linux distributions. Some fine-tuning may be necessary, let me know how it goes.