Footprint library can't be found [linux, openSUSE]

Hi
I am using Kidad Build(2013-dec-23)Stable
wxWiget 2.8.12

When I run CvPcb this message pops up "PCB footprint library file smd-dil.mod in default search
path could not be found. smd-dil does show in the library files as shown in the preferences

Any help would be appreciatd
Thank you

2013? That’s like the old old stable. A lot has changed since then.
First question, do you have the file “smd-dil.mod” anywhere on your Windows/Unix/MacOS/other PC/laptop/tablet/other?

Thank you bobc
A quick search did not find any such file. What is the latest version?

I am using linux, my package manager states I am using the latest avaiable version
kicad-20140120-2.1.10.x86_64

what distribution of linux?

My distribution is openSuse 13.2

1 Like

Not only your kicad is out of date your operating system could also need an update :wink:
(open suse 13.2 is now more than 2 years old.)

You can retrieve old files from github https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/tree/c323fc3630c0a74f522870bc75596c40ee4a5faa - click on the “Clone or Download” button and download the zip file.

If you have old projects to maintain, if there are small changes then it may not be worth upgrading them to the new version. If there are more extensive changes it is probably worth spending the time to upgrade them.

Maybe you could use the KiCad AppImage.

Hi probono
After i download and run this file, will i have the smd-dll.mod files i require and be able to use the footprints. Furthermore, will it make changes to my current projects.
Thank you

Thanks bobc
I downloaded the zip from github, unfortunately it was exactly the same as what i have now