Moved from Post-v6 to keep thread clean

Thus guranteeing nobody will actually use 6.0 and just skip to 6.99 haha

7 Likes

Of course. Six has been around for quite some time in the guise of 5.99. and has become a little tedious and mundane. It is great to see some exciting new stuff from @JeffYoung.

I wonder what other coming attractions there will be, apart from the sword to combat dragons, of course? :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you added a preview function of the package diagram ( footprint ) here?

Are the defaults like in ISO 128-2?

Are the defaults like in ISO 128-2 ?

I have no idea; I don’t have access to that document. But it seems unlikely.

Thanks. Basically, if line width is d, then the length of a dot is also d (or shorter), length of a short dash is 6Ă—d, length of a (regular) dash is 12Ă—d (all including the round or square line cap), and length of a gap is 3Ă—d.

(International and [mandatory] European Standards like EN ISO 81714-1, EN IEC 81714-2 and EN IEC 61082-1 indirectly refer to EN ISO 128-2. EVS [The Estonian Centre for Standardisation and Accreditation] offers legal 24-hour access to a document of their identical national edition in English for €2.40.)

Not at my level off access. I don’t know if @ChrisGammell could do that. Best I can do is either delete posts or move them to a new thread.

3 Likes

@hermit if you get a chance could you spin the ISO/dash-lengths stuff into a separate thread?

(And then delete this post & Jon’s to keep it as clean as we can.)

2 Likes

So actually we’re pretty close: because our algorithm does not include the line caps our 5 for stroke width is equivalent to their 6; however for the same reason our gap of 3 is really on 2 if you include line-widths.

Of course one could also argue that we should default to the “regular” dash length (so 11 and 4).

Any other opinions?

It looks to me like the short dash is used instead of the dot (in some perspective drawings). But maybe it looks better in electronic diagrams (I’m used to regular dash length in electrical diagrams). There are also long dash 24× d and space 18× d but I think all this is based on 2.5 mm letters while for KiCad the default text size is half of that (50 mil)…

@JeffYoung Hopefully this is the right thread to ask questions: which setting governs copper sliver detection?

There are two settings currently in Advanced Config:

• DRCSliverWidthTolerance (defaults to 0.08 mm)
  • DRCSliverAngleTolerance (defaults to 20 degrees)

At some point in 7.0 we are likely going to split up Advanced Config into a facility for debug settings and a facility for advanced settings (likely editable through some GUI), but that’s still TBD.

I’ve switched the dashed-line defaults to 12 & 3. We’ll see if we get complaints…

2 Likes

6.99 is Awesome , I really like the extra features

A little note that the 6.99 nightly light windows versions have not been generated since Dec. 28. Of course not to be used for production, the availability of the smaller light versions greatly increases the chance for users to download it for testing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.