Grab a component from the center of a pad to move it?

Hi,

Is it possible to snap on the certer of a pad while “starting” to move a component?
I’m trying to do so to allineate some terminal blocks pads to a 5mm grid and have all the components nicely aligned.
I can do that also editing manually the coordinates but it would be more efficient and time saving in the other way

Yes, it’s possible. (Or at least, it should be)
I have been doing that regularly, even in previous KiCad versions.
I made a lot of use of it in:

(In short: There are no “footprints” in Gerber files, so part of the task was to remove pads and place new footprints from KiCad’s libraries over all the track ends.

There does seem to be a bug in the new KiCad V6.
I’ve had some trouble with grabbing a footprint by a pad.
You should just be able to hover over a pad, and then press m for move, but a few days ago this did not work at all for me. No matter how hard I tried, it only grabbed a footprint by it’s center.

You can change the settings for magnetic points (pads, tracks, graphics) in:
Pcb Edtior / Preferences / Preferences / PCB Editor / Editing Options / Magnetic Points
But even when I set snap to Pads to Always it did not work as expected.

Right now I’ve done some tests on another PCB. 0603 capactiors now do work as expected, but if I try to grab a LQFP-48 by a pad, then it is one pad off.

In this screen recording I try to grab it by pin 20, but then the cursor jumps to pad 21 and grabs it there.
vokoscreen-2022-01-16_14-22-09.mkv (199.8 KB)

Can anyone else confirm this please.
I’m thinking of filing a bug report for this on gitlab.

Application: KiCad

Version: 6.0.1-79c1e3a40b~116~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.4
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.13.0-25-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jan 15 2022 20:26:22
	wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.81.0
	ngspice: 31
	Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

I can confirm, that is not working

I have created a bug report for this:

After some experimentation I discovered the behavior is dependent on the grid.
It is worse on a coarse grid (for example 5mm) and appears to work correctly on a fine grid (for example 0.1mm)

You can also change the grid behavior with: Pcb Editor / Preferences / Preferences / Pcb Editor / Display Options / Snap to grid. When snapping to grid is disabled KiCad appears to behave as expected.

Trace routing snaps to the center of a pad and you can hit space bar for user origin.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.