Export board with components as 3D model

I made a board with castellated holes, Now I would like to export the entire board complete with components as a useable 3D model for a new footprint on which I can solder my board.

I did google but I could not find the answers

Here it seems to work. Only it has small problem which I am going to have as well :smiley:

I tried exporting using several extensions. But no desired results:

afbeelding

Atleast somewhat better
afbeelding

Wait wutt? where is…
afbeelding

I did get me a copy of all the components in a folder.
afbeelding

Assuming it is possible, how do I get the job done?

Regards,

Bas

For that purpose, I do use FreeCad with it’s KiCad Step-Up workbench.
If you install FreeCad, you can open Kicad’s PCB file (with all the 3D models - make sure to use STEP models instead of WRL) and then export whole assembly as e.g. STEP 3d file.
EDIT: not sure how Freecad deals with castellated holes, but it’s worth trying anyway.

Thank you Fred

I installed FreeCad but I cannot open the .kicad_pcb file. Do I need to install some kind of add-on/plugin to FreeCad? Or am I ‘doing it wrong’?

The earlier exported step files does work

FreeCAD looks like really nice software. I must definatly learn it. I am still working in tinkercad which was incredibly easy to learn but it does not suffice for more complex designs.

Regards,

Bas

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/KicadStepUp_Workbench

Hi Maui,

Is there any way to export a board without components, only a pcb, to a step file.

Hi @xzf16
if you use StepUp, simply import in FC the full popolated pcb and then select pcb only and export it to step.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.