Better way of routing tracks?

So now I have done the nessesary changes for power and pot.

But of course new questions arose.

1. Why does Kicad want 5 Volt input and 5 Volt output to sit together? See picture.

2. How did you make 2 vias of 5 volts?
    I tried to put a free via and pull out the trace over it via but then the track disappears underneath?
    I manege to fix this: Multiple vias on trace

Now everything should be connected correctly?

Now I just need to move the footprint and all the tracks so that it will be exactly the way I want it.

I also removed the connection between 5 volts on pin 35 and 36 I do not think I need them. A question also comes is terminal 5, 35, 36 voltage from the same place?

2022-06-04_Shield for Pokeys and Arduino v2.zip (595.2 KB)
2022-06-04_Shield for Pokeys and Arduino.zip (595.1 KB)

Then I think about holes, should I place mounting holes? If so, where? Should I just place them where it fits? Or should I use d-sub with mounting screw? Mounting holes? It will definitely be difficult to place them afterwards.

What had you done?

If I place them in the same place as the pokeys or arduino, you might be able to use a screwdriver to remove the shield from the main circuit board without having to remove the pokeys or arduino from the shield. But this may be a stupid idea.

If I make the shield bigger, I can place the holes outside the arduino or pokeys. I also do not know if this is optimal, I want as little shield as possible.

I am thinking something like this.

1 cm longer bothe ways.

Silc screen that marks the end of arduino board.

I am not frinds with grid thow.

Where should I place the grid starting point [S]?

I put som silc screen on for test.

What do you think I shoulkd put there?

This was my first PCB: First PCB I made - YouTube

I did som mistakes that I don’t want to do again.

Hi again!

I have moved the footprint and now I get this warning with the tracks you made.

Do you understand why?

I have pressed B.

I think he added those lines to connect the ground planes better. “Better grounding” if you will.

Don’t think they wher connected between pins, just one.

But I don’t know?

Indeed, I think I drew that track segment before I reduced the Thermal Relief Gap in the Zone Properties

Edit:
Oops, that was the wrong one. It is the normal clearance.

So if I change that value I will not get that error?

Starting to get finnished What do you think?

Any improvment is welcome.

2022-06-08_Shield for Pokeys and Arduino.zip (767.4 KB)

I have lost interest in further looking at this project.

You’ve probably discovered by now that things that seem simple such as changing a connector position on the PCB can be quite a lot of work.

You also seem to ignore all advice that does not particularly interest you, for example adding I/O protection or even simple things like working on a grid to easily add rounded corners to a PCB. In the bigger overview, there is also the idea of using the enormous D-Sub connectors and then running out of room on the big PCB. I also did not even get a response about the idea of using a distributed approach with multiple smaller PCB’s. (I think that was in a PM).

If you have any question about KiCad itself and how it works, then I’d be happy to answer that.

I see.

Then I know!

I can’t say I understand but I have to respect you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.