Multiple vias on trace

I just noticed a terrible quirk - I’m routing a trace between the top and bottom layers, and I want to double up vias so it can carry a bit more current:

Making the two vias is no problem:

But at this point they’re only connected on the top layer so they aren’t actually paralleled, and when I route between them on the bottom layer it removes the top trace, and vice versa(!!!):

This seems pretty intentional - am I missing the point of this “feature”? Is there another way to parallel up vias?

Edit: it does look like drawing the overlapping top and bottom traces first then adding the vias works, but still, this seems a bit weird.

disabling “remove redundant tracks” in routing options, and disable “auto delete old track” when routing should make it work

1 Like

Ah, disabling “remove redundant tracks” did the trick, thanks!

(Seems like maybe that shouldn’t be enabled by default?)

That’s the thing… beginners might not expect that there is an automatic delete redundant track function there when all they want is another via or stuff like that.
No one really expects, that when he draws ANOTHER track, that the old one is being deleted, just because it’s the same net… really, no noob will expect that. Pro’s expect that, yes… but not noobs.
It’s counter intuitive… something is drawn and supposed to stay & you should need to delete it manually to get rid of it, not some automatic system.

Is it really a pro feature? I’ve been laying out boards for a handful of years and I’ve never run into that (though most of that time was in Eagle, which isn’t exactly flush with features). What’s the use case?

maybe not pro, but advanced?
My first session with MS paint… decades back… you know how I got to a new, empty, white canvas to draw on again?
Right… I got me the biggest pen size there was and painted white all over it.
No kidding.

2 Likes

I find it useful when I’m trying to redraw a net (Changing a corner or a route through the components) and I don’t want the old wire to remain in the pcb.