Better way of routing tracks?

I also quite often use “asdf” if I’m too lazy to type in a date.

I will show you what happened.

I think I chose from the menu wher I zped the file Ther is an option to import from zip.

When I do that I get a pop-up about selecting folder.

I think I created a new folder inside the folder wher I created the original shield.

I think I called the folder “1”.

What I expected to happen is that the project I was trying to open would open and replace all previous project files.

What is the purpus of importing a project from zip if you any way have to unzip old fashioned way and open project like an animal.

I expect when I zip a project, all files will be there. Custum footprint and symbols. Library’s and everything.

Then expect if I open a zipped project all files will be replaced that I have open at the time.

Not as it was now that I probably opened the old project without noticeing.

File>Unarchive Project?

Whell I did use the icon for “unarchive project”

So this is what I did?

What went wrong.

Was able to open the project at last.

Other question, it is a little related to the routing of tracks? Move footprint, do I have to redraw all tracks?

Why can I not grab foot print anymore?

It really does not matter to us what exactly went wrong.
Most users here are able to extract some files :slight_smile:
But it’s easy to make a mistake that can go undetected for some time.
And it’s good it’s sorted out in the end.

D for Dragging footprints works quite nice for simple moves when there is a lot of room around it, but it does not work anymore for a footprint that is “locked in” by surrounding tracks. The best option is to make a selection of both the footprint and surrounding tracks and move them as a block. After the move you will have to fix the edges of the block.

Use the selection filter in the lower right corner of the screen, and turn on the checkbox before Footprints.

With a right-click in that window, you can also unselect all except the one you are pointing at.

So now I have done the nessesary changes for power and pot.

But of course new questions arose.

1. Why does Kicad want 5 Volt input and 5 Volt output to sit together? See picture.

2. How did you make 2 vias of 5 volts?
    I tried to put a free via and pull out the trace over it via but then the track disappears underneath?
    I manege to fix this: Multiple vias on trace

Now everything should be connected correctly?

Now I just need to move the footprint and all the tracks so that it will be exactly the way I want it.

I also removed the connection between 5 volts on pin 35 and 36 I do not think I need them. A question also comes is terminal 5, 35, 36 voltage from the same place?

2022-06-04_Shield for Pokeys and Arduino v2.zip (595.2 KB)
2022-06-04_Shield for Pokeys and Arduino.zip (595.1 KB)

Then I think about holes, should I place mounting holes? If so, where? Should I just place them where it fits? Or should I use d-sub with mounting screw? Mounting holes? It will definitely be difficult to place them afterwards.

What had you done?

If I place them in the same place as the pokeys or arduino, you might be able to use a screwdriver to remove the shield from the main circuit board without having to remove the pokeys or arduino from the shield. But this may be a stupid idea.

If I make the shield bigger, I can place the holes outside the arduino or pokeys. I also do not know if this is optimal, I want as little shield as possible.

I am thinking something like this.

1 cm longer bothe ways.

Silc screen that marks the end of arduino board.

I am not frinds with grid thow.

Where should I place the grid starting point [S]?

I put som silc screen on for test.

What do you think I shoulkd put there?

This was my first PCB: First PCB I made - YouTube

I did som mistakes that I don’t want to do again.

Hi again!

I have moved the footprint and now I get this warning with the tracks you made.

Do you understand why?

I have pressed B.

I think he added those lines to connect the ground planes better. “Better grounding” if you will.

Don’t think they wher connected between pins, just one.

But I don’t know?

Indeed, I think I drew that track segment before I reduced the Thermal Relief Gap in the Zone Properties

Edit:
Oops, that was the wrong one. It is the normal clearance.

So if I change that value I will not get that error?

Starting to get finnished What do you think?

Any improvment is welcome.

2022-06-08_Shield for Pokeys and Arduino.zip (767.4 KB)

I have lost interest in further looking at this project.

You’ve probably discovered by now that things that seem simple such as changing a connector position on the PCB can be quite a lot of work.

You also seem to ignore all advice that does not particularly interest you, for example adding I/O protection or even simple things like working on a grid to easily add rounded corners to a PCB. In the bigger overview, there is also the idea of using the enormous D-Sub connectors and then running out of room on the big PCB. I also did not even get a response about the idea of using a distributed approach with multiple smaller PCB’s. (I think that was in a PM).

If you have any question about KiCad itself and how it works, then I’d be happy to answer that.

I see.

Then I know!

I can’t say I understand but I have to respect you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.