Yet another Eagle to KiCad converter

Maybe it’s helpful to others as well.

https://gitlab.com/Teuniz/eagle2kicad

1 Like

Could you highlight the benefits compared to the integrated converter?

It converts a library, not a project.

You can add eagle libraries to the footprint library table. No need to convert them. And if you want to convert then I think this can be done with the save as command (not sure about details I need to double check when I have access to my PC). Last time I did this was with an early version 4 release.

Just to make if clear: I am not stating the linked tool is bad or useless. The questions I ask are mainly to determine what use case is best served with it instead of kicad internal tools (and by extension this tells us what the internal tools lack).

5 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion of Symbol and Footprint editor Interface Issues

Impression from the posts split out of this thread:

The script seems to be able to not only convert footprints but also symbols and possibly from eagle to KiCad (KiCads internal tools are lacking a way to directly get a symbol library from eagle libraries).

It is specialized for allowing the use of eagle to maintain libraries (as @Karl is simply more efficient there) and then convert the resulting libs over to KiCad.

Please keep discussions regarding this workflow in the other thread and keep this thread solely for discussions about the feature set of this conversion script.

Hi Rene,

Some minor corrections.
First, it is not a script. It is a native executable written in C.
You don’t need Eagle or KiCad in order to run this program.

Second, the output of this program are Kicad footprints and Kicad symbols (including the *.dcm files for the description). In the generated symbols you’ll find also the attributes from the Eagle deviceset.

Resuming, inputfiles are Eagle library files with extension *.lbr.
Outputfiles are *.lib, *.dcm and *.kicad_mod.

So, an Eagle deviceset (that contains one or more symbols, footprints and attributes) is converted to the KiCad equivalent of a deviceset: a pair of files consisting of a symbol and a footprint where the symbol contains the attributes and the pointer to the footprint.
Some people call it an “atomic” library.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.