Wire connection instead of battery connector

Hello.

I would like to remove my battery connector and connect my Li-ion battery with wire connection. I have seen battery in many products is connected in this way. So, my plan is to put a pad on bottom layer and solder the wire onto the pad. If i am right, which footprint should I use it for this case?

thanks

We had a similar question recently: Best Practice - Eeschema schematic for PTHs (You might want to read the full thread. Ok start at about post number 5 or so as it took a while to understand what the original poster wanted.)

It depends a bit on the sort of board and size of the battery.
For low power applications, thin wires would suffice, and a few THT holes are probably the easiest.

stranded wires soldered to a PCB are very fragile.
The copper tends to break after a while (year or so) right at the place where the solder stops, you should make sure the wire can not bend at that exact location.

You can do that for example by glueing the wire to the board, or threading the wire (inclusive isolation) through 2 big holes before soldering.

If it is some high power application (for example for RC cars and 50A battery packs) with very thick leads then I recommend SMD pads with a bunch of via’s. The thick leads do not break as easily, but they can easily rip SMD pads from the board, and the via’s make the pads a lot stronger.

Ah, yes, it also came up a few days ago (and has probably multiple times in the past).

1 Like

Two extra pads for battery wires…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.