Why cant we add a component without having that component selection window every time?

Hi,

planning to place a couple of leds in a schematic,

• I select a led in the library,
  • place the first led
  • then clicking to drop another led somewhere else does not work, it show the component selection window again

this has to be a bug, right ?

thanks for your help on this

Ctrl+D on symbol duplicates it.
Then selecting 2 LEDs you can copy/paste two.
Then selecting 4 LEDs…

The [Ins] key is used as a generic repetition tool for repeating the last action. It works nicely for wires and labels (with an auto increment function too), but it does not work very well to repeat adding a symbol to the schematic. I think this is a bug, and there is some more in the following thread: Schematic grid snapping bug or feature? - #4 by paulvdh

4 Likes

precisely what I want to avoid :slight_smile: no key just repeat mode

I forgot about that “Place repeated copies” button.
I tried it a bit, and quite quickly disabled it again because now you ave to use [Esc] or Cancel twice each time after adding a symbol. And when you average that out, then this mostly counteracts the usage of that checkbox in my point of view. Repeating symbols can be a nice feature, but if you have to toggle checkboxes too often then the overall result is too small to bother with.
For bigger arrays, the Duplicate that Piotr suggests is more convenient and faster.

But apparently you have a different opinion (use case), and that’s fine. That’s why the checkbox is there, so you can also do it your way :slight_smile:

There is no perfect approach which fits everybody until we get mind-reading computers. The ‘Place repeated copies’ option is what the OP is after.

1 Like