Schematic grid snapping bug or feature?

Before I submit a bug report, I thought I’d check with the community.

I’m using KiCAD 8.0.4 (Linux Mint) and Grid Snapping is set to “Always” in the Schematic properties panel.

• Choose a symbol and insert it on the schematic (it will be on-grid).
  • Then while moving the mouse cursor across the screen, double-tap the the “Ins” key.
  • Good chance you will now be dragging around a new component that is off-grid. When clicking to place it, it will stay off-grid. To align, I need to right-click on the component and select “Align Items to Grid.”

It happens nearly every time and is jarring to my rhythm. :wink:

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Why do you double tap the Ins key? One tap repeats last item.

My grid is set to always and the symbol always finishes on the grid ( double or single tap). I use Mint also.

The symbol appears to be off grid with a double tap, but as soon as the symbol is moved it is on grid.

That is default KiCad behavior. Any off-grid schematic symbols are put back on grid after a move or drag.

I have managed to put a capacitor off-grid with this [Ins] key method, so I can reproduce it and it does look like a bug. I also noticed other behavior, I have had it a few times that after [Ins] the value is moved, and not a new symbol added.

But what is the Idea of a double tap at the [Ins] key in the first place? KiCad does also have a [Ctrl + D] to duplicate a symbol. (This used to be under the [d] key, but that moved to datasheet). This duplicate also has an annoying bug (KiCad V8.0.4). Just after a symbol is placed this [Ctrl + d] does not work. I have not reported this because I want to test this in the nightlies before reporting, and I can’t get the nightlies to work at the moment.

I am starting to understand the “double tap” now.

1. Place a new symbol. (Click to give it a final position).
  2. Press [Ins] once. Nothing happens. (Just the cross disappears from the cursor)
  3. Press [Ins] again. This now places a new (repeated) symbol.

In step 3). the symbol is not attached to the cursor, but only it’s value text. I think this is a bug.

In step 2). there is more going on. It is a general interference between active functions and hotkeys. For example:

1. Press w and draw a few wires.
  2. Drag a box to make a selection (This works even when the Wire function is still active).
  3. Press [Del] to delete the selection. This does not work.

Should the selection box work while the W hotkey is active? This is the question.

Understandable, as the W hotkey is still active. One function has to be turned off to start another, so back to the question “Should the selection box work while the W hotkey is active?”

Any thoughts, Paul, or other Members?

No, a single click produces a new footprint with the next ascending Ref number, as expected, except:

ksnip_20240901-125717

If a single “Ins” is made while the cursor is over the Ref. prefix, not the number (R not 38), a new footprint is created, however, the cursor is attached to the Ref. This means the Ref needs relocating after the footprints are separated. This occurs whether the Ref is inside or outside the footprint.
This problem does not occur if the cursor is over the Value if inside or outside the footprint when “Ins” is used.
This action with the Ref is probably a minor bug.

No, a second “slow” (slight delay) “Ins”. produces another (3rd.) footprint.
A fast second “Ins” (no delay) produces the below image:

ksnip_20240901-125410

R38 (under cursor) is a “ghost” image. As soon as a left mouse click is made to remove the highlight from R38, R38 disappears. the workspace is left with R39 exactly over R37 (the original R). When R37 & R39 are separated, they have wires connecting them.
Of note, the double “Ins” creates R39 not R38. Maybe the double click is too fast to allow the establishment of R38?

Personal opinions:
The Ins hotkey is a single click key that works properly unless the cursor is exactly over the Ref prefix (see above).
The Ins hotkey is not a double click hotkey and should not be used as such.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 8.0.5-rc1-202408281405~54a373a7e2~ubuntu22.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	FreeType 2.11.1
	HarfBuzz 2.7.4
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.18

Platform: Linux Mint 21.3, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, cinnamon, x11
OpenGL: Mesa, NV106, 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2

Build Info:
	Date: Aug 28 2024 14:05:43
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.81.0
	ngspice: 42
	Compiler: GCC 11.4.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
type or paste code here

My preference would be yes.
In general, an active hotkey or drawing function should not block other functions.

In the selection example:

1. You’re drawing wires.
  2. You see you drew some bad wires, or an obsolete symbol is blocking the place you want to place the wire.
  3. Drag a box and [Del] the obstruction, and then continue drawing wires.

Another example:

1. Press [a], then add a symbol (it is selected at this moment, “Place Repeated copies” is off)
  2. Press [Ctrl + d] to duplicate it. This does not work. Instead it cancels the “add symbol” function.

For me, such things are quite important. It’s the difference between “It works, but a bit meh” to “Wow, this works nice!”.

The problem is having two functions on hotkeys open at the same time. This only sometimes works.
eg. the Move, Duplicate, Drag, my N key which opens Grids, will all work while W hotkey is open.
Delete will not, and Insert will work but will close the W function.

This all seems a bit hit & miss to me.

1 Like