When will Kicad 5 be available?

Creating a version number system is difficult when there’s a version control system with small commits. The version numbers are based on some tag plus the git commit. KiCad developers chose the system where there is the next planned version number (in this case 5.0.0 rc2 where rc2 means a release candidate version before 5.0.0), then “dev” which here means it’s a development version leading to the beforementioned version, then some release number (I don’t know what it means TBH), then gxxxxx means the specific unambiguous git commit.

Maybe it would have been better to choose another system, for example “previous_released_version+gxxxxx” where “+” would have meant, well, previous_released_version plus some git commits. It would have been less ambiguous in my opinion. At least it wouldn’t have lead people to hastily interpret it meaning they have the 5.0.0rc2 version at hand which actually hasn’t been released yet.

1 Like

I think it is number of commits since previous tag, so should be number of commits since 5.0.0-rc1 in this case.

3 Likes

It looks complicated but one thing is for sure. I do not have RC2 in my hand now and I have to leave with it waiting and hoping for the official release.
Than you guys for helping me on this

Wayne expects KiCad to be ready for the version 5 stable release in 3 to 4 weeks
See: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg35841.html

Lets see how well his prediction is this time around

2 Likes

If don’t remember if the version number system was changed or is this due to Wayne forgetting the push the tag before changing the version number code, but the latest version number (today’s nightly build on Windows) is 5.0.0-rc2-37-ga8db21319, and rc2 has been tagged. So, maybe we don’t have as confusing version numbers as I thought.

As for other news, milestone rc3 has been added for development purposes, but it’s still unclear whether rc3 will be tagged later or if it will be directly 5.0.0. Anyways, the situation looks good, but until now it always has been longer than expected… I’m still not as pessimistic as bobc was above, but version 5 certainly wasn’t ready for quarter 1 of 2018.

Last prediction I heard V5 was for: “the end of April”.
4 to 5 weeks from now is about 10 months earlier than the previous prediction :slight_smile:

There is a call for translations

I think they are close to release, but they need to translate to each supported language first.

1 Like

There are no new news from the developers. Here’s the related bug list: https://launchpad.net/kicad/+milestone/5.0.0-rc3. There are no critical bugs which are actually planned to be fixed for the next tag. Until now new critical bugs (mostly crashes) have emerged and and have then been fixed all the time. That seems to be the only reason why 5.0 hasn’t been released.

In my opinion it would be better if you all would take the nightly builds and start using them. That way the looming crashes and data losses would be found and fixed faster. Well, this opinion needs quite many smileys… :grin::grinning::smile::wink::yum:

But seriously, I anticipate seeing a rush of many new bug reports after 5.0 has been released. It would be better to catch them before the release, but if it’s not released, people won’t use it. Catch 22.

Who “they”? It’s we!

5 Likes

Wayne just posted to the dev mailing list. We can be cautiously optimistic. I’m not yet ready to believe bobc’s prediction, but we’ll see…

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg36127.html

Some ancient but rare bugs have been fixed since RC2. I find V5 is really stable and user friendly compared with V4 now.

2 Likes

Latest news from the developers mailing list… https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg36295.html

The final may come out at the end of this month, about one week from now.

5 Likes

It seems we are really getting close. Wayne just announced that rc3 will be tagged shortly. If no major bug is found the release might come sometime in the week between 9th and 15th of June.
More details see: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg36374.html

3 Likes

Thanx for the update. And, have a good trip. (I hope it is for pleasure, or if it is for work you can work some tourist time into your schedule.)

Hmm, it’s already 30th June here :wink: Maybe July?

2 Likes

Timezones :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

RC3 released a few hours ago. I have been standing by waiting before jumping in so I can learn it once, not twice.
So now I am in a position that I need to learn in a hurry how to install it. Total newbie.
Could somebody write a concise instruction to install, at least in Windows (mine is Win7)? I saw a post that showed default directory locations in Program Files\Kicad. Do I extract the whole archive and place it there ?
Maybe this should be the start of a new thread?

Not released, just tagged. Release will take in a few weeks.

If you are champing at the bit, the latest nightly is as close as you can get for now, download the 30 June build from http://downloads.kicad.org/windows/nightly/. To install, just run the exe.

1 Like

If releasing rc3 takes weeks then v5 will be out before there is a package for rc3 :wink: I suspect the operating systems that get a package for rc3 will have it within a few days.

There hasn’t been an rc1 or rc2 package for Windows…which was the question.

That won’t likely happen unless someone, like you, writes it.

I can tell you that for a very recent nightly, with a clean install (as if KiCad was never on the machine), ensure that all the options are checked (except maybe the help files). Then agree to all the default prompts.

Using a recent RC2 nightly would be my recommendation; standard “using the nightlies disclaimer” applies. The reality is that when more users start to transition to V5 more bugs may be found; but this situation is also likely to happen when the official “stable” is released.

Even though there is not great documentation at this time, most things are more intuitive than they have been in the past. If you can not find a solution you can always post your question here on this forum.