RC2 -- Call for Translators

Hi All-

You may have heard by now that KiCad has released Version 5 Release Candidate 2. At this point, all strings used in the KiCad project are fixed for version 5. There are still a few things left to do before the final version 5 is released. One of the most vital is translating the application text from english to each of our supported languages (22 by last count).

Here’s where we stand on this process as of today:

The languages with high yellow/red lines are incomplete and need updating. Languages not listed have no translations at all. If you are fluent in one of these languages with missing translations and have time to pitch in, now is a great time to help.

Here’s how you can get started:

1. Get a PO file editor (like PoEditor or PoEdit)
  2. Fork the KiCad translations repository
  3. Clone your new fork to your local computer
  4. Add your translations
  5. Commit your changes
  6. Submit a pull request to incorporate your changes into the KiCad project

If you are working on a translation that already exists, it’s always polite to send the previous translator (they are listed in the po file) a quick e-mail. Here’s a nice template (feel free to use and/or translate):

Dear Ms/Mr XXXX:

I saw that you submitted a translation for the KiCad project in XXXX language. I’m looking at updating the translation for the upcoming version 5 release. Do you have any objections to my submitting an updated pull request to the KiCad translation project at https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-i18n ?

Best Regards,
XXXX

Most people will respond positively as we’re all looking to make the software better for everyone. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me here or ask a question over at the GitHub.

3 Likes

Hello @Seth_h,

I would like to help the Portuguese translation (more specifically Brazilian Portuguese), do you know if someone is already doing this translation? The .po file in the pt directory has no information of a previous translator, and it seems a bit outdated…

Thank you

1 Like

So far I know nobody is working on the Brazilian localization, nor for KiCad nor for the documentation. So just jump in, any help is really appreciated!

1 Like

Renie S. Marquet did the Brazilian translation back in 2005. His domain www.reniemarquet.com has expired. He also made a very good tutorial in Portuguese at that time.

It seems nobody has taken over the translation.

1 Like

If you need an helping hand…count on me.

1 Like

Thank you all for the answers, I think I’ll start working on this.

@PP2KR, Thanks, I’m setting up some tools and will get in touch.

@franciscorp kleibe at gmail (.) com

Is there any chance that Klingonese will be supported in the future?

I have made a fork and started work on a Malay translation, not so easy as there is no myspell-ms.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.