V5.0.0 release problems on Windows 10

I’m a long time user of the v5 nighties and beta’s, and never had any crash or anything, but the Windows release bugs me with one simple, and one annoying problem so far:

• If I’m using a non English - say Dutch - locale, opening EEschema throws WxWidget Locale problems. If I ignore this error, EEschema continues to work
  • The 3D viewer simply hangs, meaning I have to kill KiCAD.

I can’t find the source of the problem, so I hope this is a bug in KiCAD which can be solved easily. I currently switched to Language = English to prevent the locale error popup to show, but the 3D viewer problem persists…

With luck somebody here knows something about your problem. But if not (To read the full text click the link or the arrow on the top right corner):

Thanx for the tip Rene!

I usually post my problems here first, as it might be some user error or setting I overlooked, and not a bug. I will report it as bug if I did some work in checking if it really is not some problem on my side :rofl:

I just installed the release over the RC2 version, as I didn’t expect any problems…

Does 3D viewer hang with any PCB or a specific one? We have just received a few bug reports related to running KiCad on Windows 10. We will try to cope with them, but I am not sure if any of the developers has a Windows 10 machine. In any case, it might be a good idea to report problems on the bug tracker.

1 Like

I’m not certain about Windoze10.
Force the WxWidget crash by selecting “Tools” menu (clicking on it).
Minimize PcbNew and click “Cancel” on the WxWidget Error box.
Restore PcbNew and the 3D viewer should work.

Yes, you are right with these steps.
If I click on the Tools menu in PCBNew I get a WxWidget error complaining about checkboxes. If I cancel that error, the 3D viewer simply works!

.2018-07-25

I have this problem regardless of my KiCAD project.

Setting the language to Dutch, and starting EESchema gives this error:
2018-07-25%20(1)

@orsonmmz , Should I file a bug report?

1 Like

Please report them, these dialogs are annoying but mostly harmless. They will go away once we recreate the installer to use a release build of KiCad, but we would like to fix them too.

Read this report first: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1783037

The files available from the download section of the web page should now be recompiled and fixed. There should be no assertions.

1 Like

That’s great. Will download and install again tomorrow!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.