Upgraded to v8, footprint "3d pretty" file linkages broken

platform: Linux Mint 21.3 (latest; all available upgrades applied before upgrading to v8 KiCad)

As title suggests, just upgraded to v8, latest project I was working on has lost all the user-custom footprint associations to their respective user-custom 3dPretty files.
I have checked my Environment Variables; all seems OK there after doing manual updates which were NOT managed by the v98 update process. Likewise for Symbol Libraries and Footprint Libraries.

Any ideas of what to do now?

Just to be clear, did you add your custom Libraries in V8 ? I’m pretty sure they are not part of the V8 installation process . . .

True. Personal libraries and hotkey modifications need to be added.
If the path of the 3D folder has been changed, all the footprints linked to the 3D libraries will loose their links. It is best not to change the 3D paths or libraries names.

That’s what path variables are for. With a bit of foresignt you can later move the 3D models anywhere without having to edit the model path in the footprints. See the use of ${KICAD_USER_3DMOD} in my footprint. You can also give the footprint to someone else with a different 3D model directory.

1 Like

Yes.
Unfortunately, if the path variable is added now, all the links to previous PCBs will be broken.
A copy can be made of the library, with the path variable included, to use with 8 and in future Kicads, but the original will have to remain for past work; unless the OP is willing to relink old project 3Ds.