Unable to open preferences for wires and vias

After i selecting a wire with the right mouse button and click on preferences, the wire is getting bigger. If i do the same with vias, nothing is happening. I can’t open the preferences. The preferences for components are working. Is there a setting for it? The hotkeys are not changed, so it is the default settings.

This is my version:

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.12)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.77.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1k (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.0 libidn2/2.3.1 libpsl/0.21.1 (+libidn2/2.3.1) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.43.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.75.0
OpenCASCADE Technology: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.77.0
Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I am using 6.0… Understand that vias do not normally appear in the schematic. I think that in pcb editor you want to go to file>board setup>net classes.

Thanks for the quick response. Understood, but how can i place and setup a Micro via in the pcb editor? I want to have for example a blind via from layer one to layer two for signal xyz. How can i set it up before i route the wire? In previous versions it was possible to place a via, set up the net signal name, sizes and drills and connect it after the settings. Is this still possible?

I have never used blind or microvias. But here I start a trace and then do (what for most people would be a right click.) If you want more information, I think we will need help from someone who has done it.

This is my next issue. I can’t change the layer for any vias. In the gif it is just closing the window for setting up the layer. Sorry for the german menue, normaly i set the language to english but on the right mouse button it is german.
what am I doing wrong?

found a video, at 6:30 is the point which i mentioned. This double click oe right mouse botton → properties does not work in my version. Are there any informations about how to set it up or is this a bug?

I followed the instructions on the video using 5.1.12 and this works perfectly.

This comment is incorrect. The video says double left click.

One other point is worth mentioning @T1992:
To avoid a lot of confusion, it is a good idea to refer to “wires and symbols” when discussing the schematic but use the terms “tracks and footprints” when discussing the PCB.

Thanks, i will use tracks and footprints :slight_smile:

Yes thats right. In my comment the oe should be an or. So anyway, i cannot open the properties for tracks and vias over the double left mouse click or the right mouse button --> properties :frowning:

Hover cursor over a via and:

Double left click or
Right click and scroll to properties or
Press E key.

It does not work.

unfortunately i didn’t understand, which pont u had pressed in dropdown menu, because of ur local language. If u try to go to english, it will be more clear.

and i had check in my PC, if any primitive are highlighted, there r 2 possibilytyes - u can
1/ choise 'properties ’ in dropdown menu, and it works.
or
2/ highlight primitives and press ’ E ’ on keyboard, this shortcut open the primitive properties. (i mean that ’ E ’ - in english, not sure that on local language it will work.)key_set

I think that, this may help you.
Press Ctr + ,
Go to PCBnew -> editing options -> (unfill) edit action changes track width

Perfect, that was it.
The “Edit action changes track width” was selected. Now it works. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.