Two Separate Isolated Grounds, How do I created a ground symbol that doesn't connect to signal GND

I’m trying to layout a board where there are two isolated circuits. One side is Signal Ground using the “normal” ground symbol.

I’ve then created a symbol named GNDiso. I find both grounds are made common when I go the the PCB.

I suspect the library symbol properities has something to do with it but I can’t figure it out. I tried unchecking the “Define as power symbol” with no luck.

I assume I could just make the GNDiso a label but this would reduce the readability of the schematic.

Any thoughts?

Short answer:
Simplest is to copy an existing power symbol and then make both the “Name” and the (hidden) text of the pin the same in the Symbol Editor. The label text is the same as the text for the hidden pin, while the name of the component is the visual text.
the pin must also have an “electrical type” of “Power Input”.

Long answer, tag along on this thread:

Bingo! Thanks, I did all you said EXCEPT the hidden text. Thanks for the quick reply.

John

But the hidden text is important…

Have you made something that looks good on the schematic, or have you also actually verified in Pcbnew that the net labels are created and works as expected?

I’m in the “put the components there they should be” phase (in Pcbnew). The grounds look fine and I’m moving forward.

Thank you for the follow up question.

John

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.