Trouble with Labels

TEST is not connected. Notice the square? It needs to go at the junction of the wire and the connector.

Pin4/16. Your wire is too long. Notice the green square? You wouldn’t need the junction dot if it were shorter and connected to the end of pin 4. :wink:

@crasic was a tad quicker than me. :wink:

2 Likes

DOH! I extended the wire to the female connector. Problem solved. Thank you.
Pin 4 is a leftover wire from a previous test. I thought I had connected both sides in a previous test but I guess not because the ERC error is gone. I wasn’t sure about extending the wire until I got a junction dot so now I know for sure. Thanks again.

General advice: It is normally not a good idea to have wires crossing a symbol. As it makes the schematic very hard to read and is prone to errors as you experienced here.

3 Likes

Funny thing, is that in this specific instance with the female pin symbol and global net label it actually looks better than any alternate (which would require fanning out the MCU pins or using a local net tied somewhere else in the schematic)

Exception that defines the rule, eh.

Local labels would be an option as these can be placed on top of the wire. (can then be connected to the global label somewhere where there is space. If it is even required to use global labels.)

My general strategy is basically that.

When I do use global nets, tie all of them to local nets in one location on the schematic, that way it is clear to see what is connected to global space, and can be disconnected or renamed all at once.

I will take that advice. Readability will be a priority.

Are global labels only needed for multiple page schematics?

Yes for single page schematics local labels are all you need. For multi page ones you can either use hierarchical labels/pins or global labels depending on what workflow you prefer: Hierarchical or flat schematic design, what is best for me? (How to deal with multi page schematics?)

Thank you. According to what I read, local labels are the proper choice.

As general advice I completely agree, but in this particuar case it is quite fitting. It looks visually good, and as you have noticed Eeschema catches the mistakes you make and warns you about them.

If you have a design where everything fits on a single page it does not matter much which sort of labels you use. If you want to learn more about the use of the different kinds of labels, then:

Eeschema / Help / Eeschema manual [F1]

Recently I read most of it, and I found it a quite clear and well written manual.

I switched to local labels and moved them so they don’t cross lines.Local%20labels

OK. I’m missing something. But, home brewing is one of my hobbies and I just bottled and sampled a 14% mead so keep that in mind.

If you want/need the wire to go through the connector to something on the other side you might need just need to learn to make your own symbol. :wink:

In this case just open the symbol in the editor, lose the graphics and set the pin length to zero. Put a box around it if you like and save it to a new library that won’t get over written on updates. It will end up looking like the footprint for header pins but will be more legible in this case I think.

I guess you don’t realize, but you don’t have to put a label at the end of a wire, and don’t need to use a junction dot. All these labels will fit between the wires on the other side of the connector and not have to have wires crossing over your component. Something like this:

Local labels are the only labels where you can get away with this though, because they are the only ones with the connection point below the text (the others the connection point is vertically centered on the text).

I’m adding optocouplers and a header for an RF module to my next PCB.

@lardom I don’t know if you could make the schematic any more difficult to read. And, you are causing yourself the potential for more confusion.

Inputs to the left of the sheet,

and

Outputs to the right of the sheet.

The U2 pin outs for the Symbol do not have to be in numerical order either.

I’ll place the opto-couplers on the output side of the schematic especially because I don’t want to develop bad habits. For the moment I’m modifying an existing pcb and I placed the block of symbols on the input side only because there was more room on that side. I still want to add several more parts and I will use labels to help me get it on a single page.

Move the label to the wire between the connector and the chip. Remove the junction dot.
The signals are connected and the design is cleaner.

label

1 Like

Wonderful. I like it. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.