Tool to draw clean sin and PWM

Hi,

That question is not NGspice related but close. I apologize if considered as spamming.

Does someone know a tool to draw clean Signals on multiple lines IE exemple below ?
On function really missing on Kicad sim is the ability to have multiples horizontal lines.

I use LTspice - simple and powerful to use and can plot Kicad Netlist (look/search for my posted info on doing that).

LTspice can individually plot whatever signals desired, however you want them.

I’m not a fan of NGspice but can use it for plotting desired signals in the same plot (I don’t know how-to, or if-it-can plot separate signal-plot as individual plots in the same screen…

A quick default example of LTspice plots…

1 Like

Thanks BlackCoffee,

My question was more how can I draw -like photoshop - lines and curves and how to add them in a document.
All the datasheets and publications are filled with good looking document and I struggle making them :wink:

For such things I use python and occasionally manually draw using inkscape

Remember you are drawing for presentation not results so over exaggerating characteristics to make you point

1 Like

Hi Naib,

You could be a good salesmen :wink: I need to give a try to that inkscape.
Eventually I used google sheet and mulitple charts sticked together. Not a bad choice.

Generally when you want to draw things of presentation nature you do not want to use pixel art tools like Photoshop. Instead you want to use a vector drawing tool like, Inkscape, illustrator, Corel draw, Xara… or a CAD application. You would choose a pixel art tool only if you characterize your workload as painting, airbrushing or maybe sketching.

Now since, reading your actual text its clear that you dont actually want to draw anything, instead you want to plot things. For this you would either use a plotting application, or a mathematics package. Personally i prefer Mathematica for such things, but obviously you could use matlab, octave, or python matplotlib hell even geogebra to do the same thing. You should have a tool like this in your arsenal, do not use a spreadsheet, its inefficient and make s you worse than you could be.

Also you will have this problem over and over again so its worth investing half an hour to get a tool thats actually good for this.

1 Like

If you want nice looking graphs, this advice is gold. Spreadsheets are sort of ok for a quick one-off, but if you make a lot of graphs, and want them to have any kind of nice or consistent look about them, do it in some software to make real graphs, like any of those mentioned above. Scilab is also a good one.

You can program your formatting, which is pain the first few times, but then you learn it and you can make your graphs have a nice and consistent look with a few lines of code. Want to change the formatting on a bunch of graphs, you edit those few lines and regenerate all the graphs in seconds.

For annotating, arrows, etc, I used to use Libreoffice draw. It can work really nicely, but the drawing precision is fixed at 2 decimal places. This turns out to be a big problem if you move stuff around and make a lot of technical drawings - you will end up getting tiny, but still visible, misalignments that are impossible to fix. It’s a known problem for years, unfortunately, that the folks at Libreoffice do not appear interested in fixing. Now I’m learning Inkscape for this.

John

1 Like

Ok, what you wanted wasn’t clear to me… I conclude my 2-cent input with video showing you can draw in LTspice… I didn’t fuss with trying to make it pretty…

Certainly, use whatever simulator and drawing program works best for your needs…

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies.
@joojala I’ll do my homework even if I think the step is too high.

Thanks,
J.

In Inkscape take a look at
Extensions->Render->Function Plotter…
or
Extensions->Render->Parametric Curves…

2 Likes