This is maddening

Hello everyone. I’m starting my first project, and I selected KiCad as my design software. I don’t have much to show for my first schematic. I can’t even get my first few connections to function properly, so I haven’t moved on to all the other connections. My schematic is looking a little barren, but don’t mind that. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to get the USB-C port output power pins to connect to a volatge regulator through a capacitor. Obviously, I am doing it wrong!
Can you please help me? I am new, and I am learning how to write a schematic, and how electronics work, at the same time and for the first time. 4 days ago, I would not have been able to tell you what a trace is…so that is where I am starting from.
I do not want wires all over the place and confusing me, so I am trying to use labels and tags as much as possible. What am I doing wrong here??

Oh, um…so new users cannot upload things…sooo…hehehe…I can’t actually show you my schematic. Well, that’s annoying. Huh.

Hey, can I get off the untrusted list so I can get some help?

How do I show everyone part of my schematic?
Do I need to post a lot?

I doubt anyone else will bother scrolling this far.
EDIT: Thanks @hermit for removing the OP’s text.

A couple of brief questions and a “Hello” would be more appreciated and give you a better response.

Try these two links:

https://forum.kicad.info/t/new-member-information/38391

https://docs.kicad.org/8.0/en/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.html

They should help you navigate both Kicad and this forum :slightly_smiling_face:

I have always heard that new user can post 1 image in each his message and not 0 images.
You post image by dragging it on your message.

If you have read Getting started manual you should not have such problems.
If you assumed that you can use KiCad without reading any instruction then your assumption was wrong.

There is a very minimal bar set that requires forum users to interact with the forum before they can post more than one image -so you should have been able to post one image.
The restriction is there to ensure that new users have a look around and read the FAQs before firing off a post. Slow down, read and think about your project and what problems you are having.

Did you reset the grid from the baseline 50mill setting? Where did you get your symbols from? (some do not look like they are from the KiCad default symbol libraries)

I have been ‘leveled up’. This is a quirk of the forum software, Discourse, to prevent spamming. It is terribly effective at preventing first time spammers. Most never get posted.

EDIT: OP. You can edit your original. That will put the relevant information at the top. Also, you can edit the title to something more useful. Personally, a lot of people will not venture into a topic that isn’t well defined. On most forums, I know I don’t.

@MariaInSpace

To edit your post; click on the “ellipsis” (the three dots) beside the “Reply” at the bottom of your post; then click on the pencil and edit your post. As a Basic level, you have 24 hours to make an edit to your post.

1 Like

first_pcb.kicad_sch (199.2 KB)

OOps…I didn’t mean to give you the whole file…
Well, now you can definitely see what’s wrong, I guess :unamused:

The manual to KiCad does not give people an engineering degree…reading shyt I don’t understand, multiple times, is not helpful. The documentation is very basic.
I am not ditzy…I did not run to the boards or even use KiCad without reading it. Kind of offensive that you would accuse me of not knowing how to read, or being disinclined.
And yes, I am using symbols specifically for selected components, not generic ones; the symbols/footprints DLed from the appropriate supplier or other website.

Euhm, no. I have no idea what your problem is.

Reading back, I find:

The regular way is to add a schematic symbol for the connector too, and then draw some wires between the connector and the voltage regulator.

Also, I see a very big A0 sheet and an STM32H753 with more then 170 pins. It takes some time to learn KiCad, and it is best to start with a few very simple projects, to get familiar with how KiCad works. Starting with for example a blinking LED circuit with an NE555 leaves much more room for learning KiCad itself, instead of constantly switching between designing your big project and learning KiCad.

I recommend you do a minimum of 3 such simple starter projects before you do a big project. With 3 starter projects, you have seen the most important functions in KiCad a few times, and hopefully enough to commit them to memory.

People also make mistakes, especially with unfamiliar software. Fixing such mistakes in a big and complex project is tedious, and you easily forget some details. If you make mistakes in such a simple beginner project, the mistakes are quick to correct, or you can even throw away the project and start over.

2 Likes

The regular way is to add a schematic symbol for the connector too, and then draw some wires between the connector and the voltage regulator.

What do you mean, the connector? I’m connecting the power output pins from the USB-C receptacle to ceramic capacitors, then the caps to the voltage regulator Vin pins. But run the Electronic Rules tool if you don’t see the problem. Yes, it will throw hundreds of errors, but those all can be ignored except for the ones affecting my already created connections.
What is a connector?

The caps are not connected??
No, something is wrong…
Is the labeling wrong? Do I need a bus? Is it a problems with nets? Do I need to make a net, and if so, what am I supposed to label and what do I include in the net? Is my label the wrong syntax?

Oh, the sheet size is just so I had plenty of room to move components around…it’s not that big. The final PCB will be 5x3, if that. Most of the 170 pins are very simple peripheral connections. It’s way simpler than it looks.

First - I can’t look at your posted file (I’m still on v7).

That said, you indicate wanting to hookup to a USB-C connector’s power (and, or, Signal(s)) using a Regulator and Capacitor.

That is a most-fundamental (and, very simple) aspect and not complicated, if you understand that The Capacitor is connected to GND and the Voltage/Signal. The Cap filters Noise and Smooths the voltage/signal.

You have Not indicated what USB-C connector or regulator you want to use (unless it’s in the posted schematic that I can’t open) and there are handful’s of them. But, that’s not important to the wiring if you know what Connector Pins are assigned to Voltage/Signal(s) of interest.

There are many posts on the internet about doing this and you’ll see various circuit examples… From this, you can use Kicad to create a circuit.

I think this user has a grid problem.
Set it 50 mils and everything should connect correctly.
And tone down. We’re all voluntary helpers here, not your underlings.

3 Likes

I would have thought so, but it says the regulator pin is not connected when it’s graphically connected.

No, I haven’t found any that are helpful.
can you post a sketch of what a connection to a pin should look like when connecting through a cap?

are you sure 50? That’s a lot…right now it’s at 1.27mm

“mils” is American shorthand for thousandths of an inch, not millimetres.

50 mils is 1.27mm.

I can’t see your schematic (I’m on an Android tablet), but you don’t connect DC through capacitors. It’s hard to understand exactly what you are trying to do without seeing a diagram.