The difficulty of adding components to Kicad

Hi J,
I now have Z_AK8963C at the bottom of the left item list, and an empty ‘my’ SYMBOL folder.
c

This is what it looks like.

Sorry, I edited the instructions above. they should read:

This will place your new library in the D:SCH.

What OS do you use ? ???

Hi J,
Windows 10.

I’ve searched for similar to you screen shot, but nothing appears.
I went to C: and KICAD, looked in SYMBOLS, not there either.

EDIT: I right clicked Z_AK8963C and it showed IMPORT.
Z

C

I stuffed it up.
That was a screen shot of kicad where you named the library.
I forgot to tell you to use the stuff in the rectangle to find your SCH folder in D:

Now you have created a symbol folder NOT in the D:SYM folder.
We need to move your new z_ICs_BGA folder into your D:SYM

Do you understand what has happened?

Hi J,
Not really! but I’ve cut and pasted the [ Z_AK8963C.kicad_sym ] file into my SYMBOL folder.

P.S I don’t usually, veer from instructions.
C.

Your D:SYM folder or your z_ICs folder?

Hi J,
I cut the [ Z_AK8963C.kicad_sym ] from where it is shown in my last screen shot, and pasted it into my empty SYMBOL folder, that I previously set-up.
C

Which folder? D:SYM that you created with your OS or z_ICs folder which you created with Kicad?

Hi J,
This one: D:\MAIN\TECHNICAL\ELECTRONICS\KICAD\PCBs\SYMBOLS and FOOTPRINTS\Z_CAMERART_SYMBOLS
C

Don’t do anything at all till I reply. Just tell me if you created a z_ICs folder with kicad.

Hi J,
Ok.
No, z_ICs won’t mean anything to me, so I created Z_AK8963C, which is all I need.
C

You are much better off creating general kicad libraries and placing them in your D: folder so in the future you do not have this drama.

What I’d suggest is to create some libraries in kicad and place them in your D: folder.
Maybe call one z_ICs_BGA to place your AK8963 IC
Another perhaps z_ICs_smt
Another perhaps z_modules etc.etc.
This way you just create or move whatever symbols you care to use into the appropriate kicad library.

Hi J,
Ok, this has happened before, and I’m afraid happens all of the time.
It’s a skittish mind coupled with mild dyslexia. I just put up with it and move on.
Thanks, a lot, C

There’s not much more I can add except to Underscore the following:

• With your Z_AK8963C selected in the Tree, Click icon to create New Symbol. Create your symbol.

• I found it best to Always Quit Kicad after making changes to system,files,links…

FYI - screenshot of my Folders/User (and, be sure to create folders from you system’s finder/explorer, not in Kicad…

Hi C
I’ve nearly finished a wiki titled “A beginners guide to creating and managing personal libraries”
You will be able to find it soon in the FAQ.

Cheers for now, I’m off to bed. It is 2.40AM in my world.

PS @BlackCoffee is really good, take heed of his comments… he knows stuff!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi BC and J,
during these exchanges, I’ve seen all of the combinations, but never all at the same time.
I’m sure I’ll figure it out, sooner or later.
Enjoyable, even though I’ve now got a headache :slight_smile:

I’m surprised you can sleep at all with all that java sloshing round.
Cheers, C

One last comment…

You did not post screenshot of your Symbols Library (Pref’s Manage Symbol Lib’s)

If your Folder is not listed, Add it to the Global list…

screenshot