Symbols appear as question marks, Strange names in rescue lib

Here is the text from the -rescue.lib file:
Main Panel-rescue.lib (1.5 KB)

Notice the difference in just this first two symbol entries.

And, when did this become a thing?
Project_Specific

The library table? Well in version 5.0.0 :wink: (You really need to learn that we can not read your mind. Clearly mark the thing that you want us to see or describe it in textual form.)

Version 5 does no longer suffix symbol names like that. This lets me assume that this is an artifact from version 4.

Adding suffixes to rescued symbols was necessary in version 4 as back then symbols need a unique name over all libs. That included the rescue library.

By definition a symbol in the rescue lib is normally also found with the original name in your normal libs. V4 simply suffixed the name of the rescue lib to solve this problem.

My guess is that you had it in the rescue lib, lost the rescue lib somehow, rescued again, … (Would explain that naming.)

Moved to new topic as you clearly have a different problem then the original reporter (The resulting symptom might be the same but the cause of it is different.)

This has happened to me. Probably the symbols were rescued but the rescue lib wasn’t added to the lib table. Then the symbols were rescued second time etc. Every time “xxx-rescue” is appended to the old symbol name which is taken from the schematic file but not found in any library.

The rescue dialog does add the library to the lib table automatically. (If not then this would be a bug. Can be the case but that would require evidence.) So i would guess that either the lib table or the rescue lib itself got lost somehow. (Either deleted, forgotten to add to version control, …)

I need to correct my wording here. V5 does no longer simply add the suffix project_name-rescue on rescue but it adds the source library as a suffix. (this is done such that naming conflicts are avoided if the same symbol name existed in two different libraries and both of them needed rescue.)

This of course opens up an avenue for creating names like we see here.

This might have been in a pre-5 nightly build. I don’t remember the details.

1 Like

No.
What I did was to use “Ctrl+e” to edit a symbol that I did not initially realize was in the rescue library. This is what I “think” it was that I did that caused the issue.

Everything seemed to be fine at that point in time. The project was saved and the problems only happened at the next launch of the project.

When did the rescue library get added to the Project Specific Libraries?

I can also state that the two connectors were always in the project, and should have been rescued the same number of times.

Since always. In v4 it was added to the top of the list of libs (Because the top most lib got priority) and now with v5 it is in the project local library table as this replaces the list of libs from version 4.

My guess is that using crtl+e somehow changed only one of them. Might be something where a warning message could help. Something like: “The symbol you try to edit is only found in the rescue library.” (It could then possible ask if there should be a new local library be created for this symbol.)

Neither of these symbols were given the “Ctrl+e” editing process.

What I edited was a Power Input symbol.

This does not make sense, as the only GND symbol I have ever used has been from the official KiCad libraries.

GND.txt (381 Bytes)

I do take note that the only symbol with the “#” character is the GND symbol.

The # ensures kicad does not expect this symbol to be connected to a footprint. See: Tutorial: How to make a symbol (KiCad v5.1.x)

I KNOW that.

Even if I did not know that, it does not explain why the GND symbol was the ONLY symbol not fully “fixed” with the steps that I took; launching “Tools/Edit Symbol Library References…” and finding out there was still a stray GND in the schematic that did not get assigned with the rest of them.

On the plus side, I’ve “fixed” (many hours doing so) and archived the Project to my friend that is an Ubuntu User with KiCad 5.0.2 installed and they had only had to Rescue once and everything appeared to be fine on their end.

With as many changes as I have read about, I guess I just got confused about the intent of the schematic cache library and the rescue library.

Well why did you then point out the # in your last post?

I will now stop making assumptions and ask you for a more detailed report. What exactly happened with your project. Which steps did you take to get to your current state. Which kicad version where involved. What exactly is the current state of your project.

Or, is the question, “Can I figure out what the developers are doing to KiCad?”

Can you not understand that there was nothing done different by me in the workflow to cause the program get all Wonky?

Project seemed to be fine, project was saved and seemed fine. Project would not properly open up the next morning and it was BUSTED/WONKY.

I saved the Project as normal and it would NOT open properly the following day. The save and open were with the same official stable release of V5.1.0 of KiCad:

Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I thought I had mentioned that ONE GND symbol was NOT recovered from the “Tools/Edit Symbol Library References” Window.

I did not believe that I did anything different than the majority of users that participate in this forum that use the standard workflow with KiCad.

I manually text edited all of the Symbols that were in the Rescue files.

I added the Rescue library to the Symbol Library Editor / Manage Symbol LIbraries Editor and I gave the new library the name of “Ugly”; not certain the path (I’ve deleted it).

I then “Right Click” to “Save As” and copied/moved the Rescued Library Symbol items to the custom libraries I have. I then renamed the *.sym-lib-table" and the other files with “rescue” in the name.

Project now seems fine; as mentioned it was sent to another KiCad user without issue. There are now NO “Project Specific Libraries” in the Project.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see if this is already fixed, or if it comes up again.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.