Symbol pin numbering different than footprint

I downloaded a symbol and footprint files from Samtec for a project i’m doing (basic IDC header). I’m new to this and in the schematic view i assumed the pin numbers that showed are the same as the physical layout and i designed my circuit based on that. However when i go into the PCB designer I see the footprint pin numbering is different. For instance in the schematic pin 1 is top right but in the PCB layout pin 1 is lower left.

I get that schematic view (logical) is different than PCB (physical) and probably for good reason. But if i send this thing off to an online PCB assembly house to make a prototype which pin numbering scheme do they use - the footprint version? So then as long as i follow pin numbers and not the layout that appears on the schematic i’m ok?

Why not post the symbol and footprint in question so that discussion can be concrete? You may have to read some more topics in the forum gain points to be able to attach a file. Or a mod might promote you.

And post the KiCad version from Help > About KiCad > Copy Version Info while you are at it.

Well in my original post i couldn’t add pictures but looks like i can now. Here is the header i’m using which is just a basic 2x10 pin IDC connector. Do I just follow the pin numbers and ignore the placement on the schematic view? More trying to learn and understand how KiCad works at same time. PCB view i assume is top down and represents what would actually be built in the real world.

KiCad version 7.0.10 release build

The physical orientation of the symbol and layout of its pins has no significance. Matching is by pin number.

But when designing the layout be careful to note whether the footprint is looking from the top or bottom of the part.

Hello and welcome @DaveInPA

A schematic symbol is an abstract drawing. Compare a 7400 IC symbol and footprint to see just how different they can be,

Your assembly house does not get the schematic. The wire connections attaching the pins in the schematic should be identical to the tracks attaching pads on the PCB. If they are different, Kicad will seriously complain.

Yes.
Even if you are placing tracks on the bottom of the board, you are viewing the result as if the PCB is transparent. To inspect the board from the bottom up, you need to turn it over. Kicad has a flip function (in View) to see the bottom of the board as if it has been turned over.

Hi @DaveInPA

If you are going to use this forum; it will be worth your while to read this FAQ. A link to all FAQs is at the top of every page.

Your details show you need to spend at least two more minutes reading at least five more posts to promote yourself to “Basic” level.