Symbol Librtary Remap

I am working at bringing up into KiCAD a very old project. Since it was last worked the libraries have been reorganized into a new directory structure, and it has also been migrated from MS Windows to Pop!_OS (a Linux OS based on Ubuntu). The result is that when I load the project’s schematic I get an message window that gives me the option to remap the symbols. When I respond affirmatively KiCAD cannot find the libraries in the new structure.

So I have made new entries into the library paths that are to where these old symbol libraries are located, and now I want to have it try to remap again. But I am not able find that command in the menus. Is there an option to do this again after the schematic is loaded? The need is to be able to do this not just for the entire schematic, but for a selected symbol as well.

Version info:
Application: KiCad

Version: 6.99.0-unknown-5a2f351f28~146~ubuntu21.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
FreeType 2.10.4
libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1j zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.11.0-49-lowlatency x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntustudio, x11

Build Info:
Date: Jan 26 2022 01:17:20
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.74.0
ngspice: 34
Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I can replace all the symbols manually one, by one, but this is laborious. My hope is I can get KiCAD to find those libraries after I have entered the new library paths.

Are you intentionally using 6.99?

I am intentionally using KiCAD 6.99

I asked the same thing end december 2021, but I did not get a response back then: Which Nightly Build?

I was typing that here but I got distracted by Der.Ule’s big via array :slight_smile:

On a few of my old project, I had to cancel the remapping to get the schematic symbols visible from a KiCad V5 project into a V6.0 project.

I don’t know about KiCad V6.99, but in KiCad V6.0.5 there is: Schematic Editor / Tools Rescue Symbols.

Maybe you can use: Schematic Editor / Tools / Edit Symbol Library Links. It’s got some rendering issues on my Linux box, but all schematic symbols with the same library reference can be mapped to another library reference with a few mouse clicks.

But the most important question probably is:
Do those old projects have the [Project]-cache.lib library in their project folder?

I am always using the latest build of KiCAD 6.99. My Pop!_OS installation updates this automatically when booting completes.

[Project]-cache.lib does not exist. I get the error message that it does not every time I open the project. I exercise the option that error message presents to continue to load without it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.