Strange behavior in PCBnew DRC

Just noticed some strange behavior in the Layout DRC. Attached here is an image of a board that I’m working on. Pins 19 and 21 are Vin. However, only pin 19 is actually connected to Vin with a trace while 19 is not. However, the count under Unconnected in the status bar at the bottom is 0. When I ran the DRC too it did not show anything under Unconnected. Is this a bug?

https://i.imgur.com/CRlh01U.png

If it isn’t connected in the schematic I don’t think it gets counted as unconnected by the DRC. In other words the DRC probably counts remaining rats which sometimes can be hard to spot.

When I remove the copper fill, I can see the rat connect on the two pins. When I refill the copper, I see this.

Read his post again.
He did say it is not connected with a trace in pcb_new. (he did not say it is unconnected in the schematic)
And the screenshot would let me guess that the pin is connected in the schematic because VIN is written in the pin.

@electrophile check in the pad option (press e) if the netname is correct. (in the pad only the last portion is shown.) The full net name could be something like /sheet-name/net-name. Make sure this is the same for both your pins.

Did you run DRC before you clicked list unconnected?

OK checked the netname and for the both the pads it shows as VIN. Yes, I did run the DRC before I clicked ‘List Unconnected’.

What is your kicad version?

4.0.7, release build.

[quote=“electrophile, post:3, topic:8586, full:true”]
When I remove the copper fill, I can see the rat connect on the two pins. When I refill the copper, I see this.
[/quote]OK. That’s strange. I generally see rats overlaying the copper layers. Are both pins supposed to be connected? I’m wondering since you didn’t actually route it.

would you be prepared to share your project files? (you can send them via pm if you don’t want them public)

Well DRC should report them. That’s the whole point here.

I see rats only when there is no copper fill, which I think is the way it should be since the pours will connect the unconnected rats (such as GND pins). Yes both pins are supposed to be connected. I was going over the board to see how I can reduce pin count and this was one redundancy. I wanted to delete them but I could see this issue and thought I’d put it here. Now I’m going through the whole layout and manually verifying that all pours are connected since the DRC is not really reporting the correct state.

Sorry, can’t do that. Have an NDA in place with the client.

OK. Terminology I guess. I’m thinking turning off the fill visibility vs removing them. If the rat disappears when you fill then the program thinks it is connected. The top icon on the right is a ‘highlight net’. Turn off ‘show copper fills’ and try to highlight it. This should highlight both pins and any path between them.

One thing that you could check is in the pin properties -> local clearance and settings:
look under zone connect. (should be from parent)
Check the same for the footprint itself.

And yes we are clutching at straws here.

Here’s my last straw. :wink: You mention having different fills. The b key redraws and refills the areas.

It does. Here are some screens again.

No fill, not visible, net highlighted

Filled, not visible, net highlighted

Not filled, visible, net highlighted

Filled and visible was the image in the starting post.

Yes I know that :slight_smile:

Both pins show pad connection as ‘From parent footprint’. How do I check this for the footprint as a whole?

in the footprint properties dialog.

OK got it. Yes it shows exactly like that.