[SOLVED] Accelerated graphics crash with multi monitor set up

First of a I’m new user of kicad and I really love it. But I have one issue.

When I used two screens kicad crash when it opens windows in secound screen. This only happen when I use Accelerated graphics.

I have test all things. Different graphics driver, updated bios on montherboard and graphics card.

The strange thing is that it works if the window that’s open on secound screen is like 49% on that screen, but if it’s 51% overlapping to secound screen it crash.

When I say crash it’s more like frees.

Any help???

Nvida RTX 3060, windows 10

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.7, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Aug 14 2023 02:42:39
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.81.0
	OCC: 7.7.1
	Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
	ngspice: 40
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

/Claes

1 Like

I can’t help with this particular issue, but when it concerns a possible bug, it is always good to attach the full KiCad version info. You can find it in: … / Help / About / Copy Version Info, and then paste it at the bottom of your original post here (you can add tripple back ticks or use the “Preformatted text” button on top of the edit window to make it look more fancy.)

Edit: Edited original post to add the triple backticks.

Right now I’m using 7.07, but it has allways been a problem for me.

I’ll try today on a p620 card… do you have any special conditions under which everything crashes? right away or over time? when is the circuit open or ?

Are you plugging in both monitors to the GPU instead of splitting them between GPU and integrated graphics (mobo graphics port)?

Thx for all help.

I fill in with some more info.

The integrated GPU is turned of.

Both display in pluged in to the RTX 3060

From the begining everything was working ok. (For weeks) But the I start to got the problem. I think it’s something about the enumeration of the displays. I thinking of maybe kicad / OpenGL thinks the windows is on the other screen or something?

From the begining the screens was connected with two DP cables to the graphics card. Then the problem showed for the first time. After some testing it start working again after I change port for one of the screens. (change to other DP port).

But after some the the problem started again. This time it did not help to change DP port. But then I change the secound screen to HDMI. Then it was ok for some time again.

But after some working days it was the same problem. Then I liked the screen with DP and… it working again.

But now it’s same problem again and it don’t help to change output ports on the graphics card.

I have tried to delete the display cache in windows registry. But that did not help. Also tried to delete the enumeration of display in registry but with no luck.

How old is the card ? when was the last time you cleaned the fan/heatsink with a brush/blower/canned air ?

That not the problem. It’s super clean and not that old. 1 year or so.

my assumption is that the reason is in the jelly and its after … in the case of a kicad, the fall would occur immediately or upon opening or loading …

Well, when it comes to opengl. KiCad doesn’t really handle that kind of stuff, that’s entirely inside Nvidia’s drivers. I could see there being quirks if your monitors have two different DPI settings.

Yes I occur directly now when you try to open any windows that will open on screen 2.

I don’t have this problem with any other program. Just kicad. I think something must be wrong when kicad tries to initiate a new windows with open GL. The window appers with all menys and icons. But the “drawing” space is just white and kicad freeze up.

i had a problem with hdmi to dp wires, i transferred my card to adapters, but there the monitor was not detected at all after 5-10 turns on … full hd ips nvidia p620 monitors work well now

I have an idea of what make this problem in first place. I normaly switch my screen of but let the computer be on. Some times if different windows is open on desktop all moves to screen one when I turn the screens on again. My this is what makes it go bad. But I don’t know how to fix the problem with that kicad crash now when it tries to open windows on screen 2.

there is a possibility that synchronization is lost when switching … in this case, a restart occurs and the program crashes …digital stream is interrupted when switching in my case the desktop is extended to the second window monitor I drag as an extension

Just so know, my problem now is no restart or reboot or anything makes kicad work on secound screen now. When I use accelerated graphics.

Is it possible to forse kicad to open new windows only on main screen? Then I can move it to second screen. That works. Just when it open a window direct on second screen it kicad freeze up.

This has to be a issuie with kicad. Becouse it works on second screen if it created on main screen and moved to second screen.

So it has to be some strange things going on when it create window and initialize OpenGL on second screen.

in the win settings there are two modes for connecting a second monitor in the first it is a continuation of the desktop in the second it is a duplicate of the first monitor try switching the mode

Yes it work when I switch to one monitor. Left or right is working and also cloning but that’s not really helps me and when I swich back to dual screen desktop the problem is as before.

I tried to reinstall kicad. I deleted all traces of kicad in the system. But no luck.

Reinstalled new driver for the RTX 3060, no luck.

I also uninstalled nvidia drivers for the RTX 3060 and tested to use the internal intel cpu graphics (yes I have dual screen on motherboard). But still it did not work with dual screen in kicad accelerated graphics.

So it’s NOT the graphics driver. It’s something with kicad that is unsynk windows handling of the dual screens.

I will take home the computer and test with the screens I have at home. Will be interesting.

1 Like

@Laserclaes When kicad freezes (and not crashes).

Open Task Manager, right click on Kicad.exe in the Details and select “Create dump file”.
Upload this dump file somewhere like google drive/ dropbox/ wherever (it’s a big file sometimes) and please PM me the link.