Software for designing control panels

I think one good first step is to define the standard describing symbols’ graphics (IEC, IEEE) if desirable.

I do use FreeCAD, as I do not know of another Open Source 3D CAD program for Linux.

A part of my (very moderate) collection of FreeCAD stuff are a few drawings with parametric sketches. Making a new ball bearing (just simple representation) or a lineair rail, is just entering some numbers and exporting it as a .STEP file. Once you have the sketches, it’s quick to just export a custom STEP model, and I add tings like size and length in the filename, for example “Dinrail_328mm.step” for a Dinrail with 328mm length.

I’ve done multiple attempts to learn Python for scripting purposes, but I have trouble fitting it all in my head. In the meantime this method lets me make only the sizes I need, and the method is of course adaptable to any program that can export .STEP files.

1 Like

Have you seen the recently published VariantGenerator workbench? It’s right up that alley.

1 Like

Nope, had not seen that one before.

I have quite mixed feelings about FreeCAD. It’s a quite powerful program that can do a lot, but it also feels like a hodgepodge of thrown together stuff. New stuff gets added, some workbenches get deprecated or neglected for years. Don’t see it as a complaint. I find it all understandable, but FreeCAD does not exactly feel like a mature program. I’ve got a vague Idea that you can enter data in it’s spreadsheet workbench, and generate parametric models and exports from that, or generate a bunch of .STEP exports from a few lines of Python code in a loop.

My biggest problem is that I get distracted too easily, can’t focus well (for longer periods) and forget stuff I’ve learned quickly if I do not use it on a very regular basis.

1 Like

It was my first impression when I started 5 or 6 years ago. But I think that the Freecad team is working hard to fix some of those problems. The Realthunder branch is also making a big effort to adress some of the problems that made it impossible for me to use a productive tool. You can search Realthunder on you tube. Lots of stuff on the subject.

I will check it out. Thanks.

We did work different lengts of DINralings and Conduits by simply changin the lenght parameter. But to be productive, I’m hoping or planning to design a tool that can take a parametrized parts from FREECAD and create a lengt from KICAD.

I’ve been keeping an eye on FreeCAD for years now and used it for some hobby projects, but I mostly keep to the simple stuff, such as drawing 2D sketches and making pads out of them.

I liked the “spoon” in FreeCAD, but for what I do, simple flat surfaces usually suffice. As FreeCAD evolves you also have to “fix” things if a drawing is opened in a newer versions. For example sketches are suddenly over constrained, or have redundant constraints. And that is another reason for me to keep it to the “simple stuff”.

Just wanted to point out that this is one of my biggest complaints as well.