SODIMM 200 Module footprint

Hello forum members!

I am looking for a SODIMM 200 Module footprint, not the connector part. I have not found the module part only the connector part, in the libraries.

Does anyone know if the module part has been created as a footprin for KiCAD?

Best regards,
Christian.

I don’t understand what you mean by module footprint in this case. The module is connected only through a connector, not directly, therefore there’s only a connector footprint. A footprint for that module doesn’t make sense. If you have something specific in mind, give more information, like a link to a datasheet.

Hello eelik, Thank you for the quick answer.

I am looking for a footprint that I would have to put on the board that I will stick into the actual SODIMM connector. The “SODIMM” has, well two parts right? A connector part and module part. I hope I am making sense.

here is a link to it in altium:

https://designcontent.live.altium.com/TemplateDesignDetail/PDE-0001-00074

have a look at here

Hello maui.

The Raspberry Pi Module looks pretty much like what I would like to accomplish. So I need:

1. the module board (is that a footprint?) and
  2. the connectors footprint to put on the board.

I looked into the library you linked. I can import the “KiCADinfo_RPi-modules.lib” and use the symbols in my schematic.

But how do I import the “Conn_TE-DDR2-SODIMM-0.6-200P-doublesided.kicad_mod” ? It does not show up. I tried “All supported library formats” and “folder with .kicad_mod files”, but no luck.

It’s still unclear to me what you want to design. The footprint above isn’t for the module, it’s for the connector (probably https://www.te.com/global-en/product-1612618-4.html). If you design a board where you want to put a memory module you use footprint only for the connector, not for the module. You may need a 3D model of the module for mechanical or physical design.

1 Like

I do not want the connector that you put on the “motherboard”. I would like to make the module (like a memory module), like the one you linked. A SODIMM 200 compatible module.

So I need, as far as I understand it:

1. Module board (this is not a footprint, but can be designed in kiCAD?)
  2. How connector pins should be placed on the module board. I think this could be a footprint.

So I was hoping that perhaps someone in the community had done this already. If not, I guess I have to do some designing in KiCAD, which will take some time, since I am new to KiCAD.

He wants to design a board in the SODIMM form factor, like the RPi compute module.

It’s not really a normal use of KiCAD footprints I think since you would need to draw on Edge.Cuts which would require manual editing of the file.

you may be able to convert an altium design to kicad with this tool: https://github.com/thesourcerer8/altium2kicad

AFAIK, this is what templates are for. Personally I haven’t really used them, nor ever created one. But, I think this is the right direction to go.

I don’t know if anyone has come up with a SODIMM 200 template yet. But now we all have the right terminology to do searches.

So I guess I have to try and desing it myself. Any pointers to good tutorials will be appreciated.

Is it possible to share boards(as drawn on Edge.Cuts), like footprints and library symbols?

Looks interesting. I will check it out!

I downloaded “txyzinfo/Arduino-Due-SODIMM” and opened it in Eagle, and it looks like what i want. Now how do I get the board into KiCAD?

Open the brd file in standalone pcbnew (not started through KiCad project manager). File->Import Non-KiCad Board File.

Edit: you can open it also from the project manager, File -> Import Project.

Thanks for the help! That worked. :slight_smile:

I did get some warnings about unsupported layers, but it looks ok.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.