SMD Size chart for those of us who are spatially challenged

Helps me, hopefully it helps others.
SMD REFERENCE SHEET V3.pdf (777.4 KB)

When I print from CorelDraw it is very close to on scale. Hopefully it will be close enough to be useful.

4 Likes

Thank you. Even though I know MUCH of this stuff, this is a useful reference.

BIG CRITICISM:

“VIAs” does not deserve an apostrophe. The Via does not own anything (at least not so far as I know.)

:grinning:

1 Like

Oh no, it’s the invasion of the greengrocers. :astonished: Sorry, silly joke.

1 Like

I don’t much care for “Holes diameter” either.

Bob’s correct.

How can we trust the reliability of the dimensions if the descriptions fail?

Looks very nice. But I agree to keep descriptions consistent. PCB VIA or VIAS, HOLE DIAMETER. And please add units in places where it’s missing (the aforementioned). And there is hole diameter in mm, but via in mils? “Mil” isn’t a thing in Europe, I never use it.

Is the source for this available? Then people could spend their energy on improving/adapting it instead of nit-picking the shit out of it.

3 Likes

Maybe not for the PDF (PDF is a really horrible format), but you can git some from any PCB manufacturer.

And search for “PCB ruler”, which finds 11 results. The variant from kitspace has some nice pictures on github.

1 Like

I told them that… they were really disappointed. /s

That is entirely up to you. If its not useful to you, simply delete it.

For me this sheet is really for perspective, and to remind me not to go smaller than SOD-323

Personally the VIA and pitch ref is of marginal use to me. On my print, the hole diameters are right on using a metal ruler and eyeloop.

For me this sheet is really for perspective.

So you see, this whole discussion is full of sheet, and relieving that seems worthwhile. I agree that those tiny SOD footprints (such as SOD-523) are a real pain. For hand soldering, the SOD-80 or minimelf is much easier to work with than even a SOD-123. My hands have never been so steady, and the SOD has many more wrong possible positions to lay on the board before soldering than does the SOD-80. I can mount one of those in maybe 1/10th the time. I highly recommend trying that diode package if you have not already.

No interest in 0201 metric?

I used to use them, however one day I accidently installed a grain of pepper. It took me 2 days to figure why my circuit didn’t work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

UPDATED Chart.

I corrected most (all?) of the identified mistakes and cleaned up a few areas. I included the source which should have been on the original but at that time I hadn’t considered distributing the file. I hope others find it useful.

John
SMD REFERENCE SHEET V3c.pdf (548.4 KB)

9 Likes

Nice chart.

SO8, TSSOP8, SSOP8, and SOP8 are all shown as 10-pin packages, pitch unknown but doesn’t look standard.

Other footprints that might be of interest could include:

• SC70/SOT-323 (SC70-5, SC70-6)
  • SOT89

I think the goal of this sheet is to give the user a handy “to scale” reference to component sizes. I did add in a 2nd pin configuration for the SOT-23 but the rest are simply for basic size.

I printed a copy, thanks for assembling this information!

1 Like

I am not sure there is such a thing…

2 Likes

Many thanks for this. It is helpful, you obviously put a lot of work into it and shared it. that’s what counts.

1 Like

I was hoping for twisted 1206 chips (both left and right twist versions) to fit on warped pcbs.

2 Likes

I was really looking at the bowed chips for flex circuits… maybe next revision :slight_smile:

2 Likes