SMD diode footprints

I am relatively new to SMD parts. I am using a 5.6V zener (Vishay PTV5.6B-M3/84A) which uses a DO-220AA footprint. When I got the boards back I noticed the footprint pads were swapped (one is big ad the other small) and did not agree with the cathode mark/band. I thought I just screwed up, but looking at the spec for the diode and then the generic DO-220AA I see the footprint assigned both ways.

Is there are standard where normal diodes are one way and zeners are the other? Or is this just random.

for reference:

Vishay data sheet
3D Content Central

I believe it’s just random. DO-220AA standard does not specify which side should be the cathode, and typically zener diodes have the same polarity as standard diodes in comparable packages. It seems that this specific diode is just special in that regard. The datasheet you attatched confirms that the cathode is the smaller pad on page 4.
It’s probably related to the physical construction of the PN junction inside, typically cathode has a bigger surface area and is used as a primary heat sink but in this case it’s the opposite.

Thanks, that makes sense. What I find disappointing is the the footprint on Mouser, is backwards. That’s were I got it. I have gotten several bad footprints from SamacSys. The symbols are usually unhelpful. Fortunately I tend to design with a few dozen parts,so that’s not so hard once I have my library set up.

Mouser part

FYI. I have reported the error to https://componentsearchengine.com we will see.

They fixed so fast or I don’t know where to search.
If at their page I serach for your diode and then click ‘Download model’ I see:

what seems to be correct (cathode (pin 2) is small).
Where is (or was) the bug?

My original statement “It’s not fixed yet. That footprint is wrong. Pin 2 (cathode) is the large pad.” is wrong, see below.
From the Visahy data sheet linked above.

Since beginning of this thread I don’t see where is a bug you are trying to show.
Based on what you draw a conclusion that cathode is the large pad?
At each of 4 Vishay pictures the big pin/pad is at left and small at right and the Cathode Band is clearly at right so according to datasheet cathode is the small pad.

I start to suppose that may be what you want to say is that you have that diode and measured it and from it you know that cathode is the large pad. If it is what you want to say than you haven’t made it clear so far.

All pictures I have seen in this thread and in linked datasheets tells me that cathode is the small pad.

3 Likes

From the point of view of the land pattern it doesn’t matter whether cathode is pin 1 or pin 2 as far as the footprint pin numbers match the symbol pin numbers.

It could matter the silkscreen because it usually marks the cathode.

I think labumm believes that the most positive connection to the Zener diode (in the circuit) is “anode”.
That’s not the case: anode and cathode are always the same, regardless of diode type.
I see no errors in the documentation anywhere.
The large pad is anode. period.

I have it in the circuit and measured it.

The discussion here lead me to find the actual mistake. A rookie mistake. The pin numbers on the symbol I was using don’t match the pin numbers on the footprint. When I found and corrected the mistake in the physical pcb I went to the vishay data sheet. The data sheet doesn’t have pin numbers. Evidently the anode/cathode pin numbers are not standardized either. I suspect I dropped in the generic library symbol (D_Zener) and then later linked the symbol tothe footprint of the part I selected. I was blaming the wrong mis-match.

The cathode is the small pad, as you correctly point out.

And, this is why I prefer having symbols with pin letters instead of numbers - A & K vs 1 & 2…

I will give this discussion a certifiable “WOW.” I have a good collection of Vishay diode datasheets, and I found this one easily (Vishay # SS2P5 and SS2P6)

1 Like

If you have big collection then you can check if it is random or it depends on diode type.
May be Schottky needs bigger cathode while Zener anode.

The question is if it is better to have transistor symbols with all 1,2,3 combinations or to have each transistor footprint (SOT23, SOT323, SOT89, SOT223, DPAK,…) with all B,E,C and G,S,D combinations.

Yes, and this horse has been beaten quite a bit here.
I prefer the later, since it means I don’t have to change the schematic if I substitute a transistor. But, I am used to a decoupled BOM.

TPSMP series TVS diodes (basically Zener with high peak power dissipation) TPSMP datasheet have “reversed” polarity, while all standard SMP diodes have the standard “cathode on the big pad” polarity (AU1P series, MSE1P series, SS3P series)
It appears that if it comes to diodes in SMP packages Zeners have a different pinout to standard diodes.

Above is the mouser data in the SS2P5. I checked the D_Zener, 1N4001, LED, and D_Schottky in KiCAD. They all have K=1, A=2. The spec sheets don’t assign pin numbers.

The generic KiCAD symbols also label the pins, so the K and A assignment from the symbol come through to the PCB footprint. See below. The generic D_Schottky with as-imported footprint from SamacSys. It’s backwards.

Which is the most common way to number K and A?

For KiCad and most PCB design software it’s 1 - Cathode, 2 - Anode
For SPICE simulation software it’s 2 - Cathode, 1 - Anode

1 Like

I guess it doesn’t help that pin numbers on KiCad’s default diode symbol are hidden from view, here’s a pin table for “Device:D”

How do you pull up the pin table? I can get to something like that from: symbol properties>Alternate pin assignments

What this means is that there are two flavors of diodes D_KA and D_AK that need to be tracked. Or converted to the KiCAD standard D_KA for use. That adds a layer of abstraction connecting the symbol to the footprint.

Is this also the case for polarized caps?