SMD diode footprints

In Symbol Editor it’s this icon here:

1 Like

For polarized caps in KiCad’s library it’s 1 for the positive and 2 for the negative.
I typically use a separate footprint for these “reversed” diodes since the silkscreen marking for the cathode band would also be on the opposite side, and then assign a correct variant of the SMP footprint to the diode symbol. Standard SMP footprint on the top and “reversed” SMP footprint on the bottom.

That way they can be both used with the generic diode symbol.

1 Like

I queried SamacSys as to their pin assignment standard. They replied, “Ordinarily we use K for pin 1, so I will make sure this is reiterated to the builder of this part.”

And it’s fixed.

1 Like

Wait a minute… I had not heard of SamacSys…but that much is OK.
Why does the symbol show pin 1 on the left and the footprint shows pin 2 on the left? I don’t think there is any sort of “rotation convention” in effect here, so the symbol and footprint ought to be rotated the same way, right?

On SS2P5 and SS2P6 the cathode is the larger terminal, but the SamacSys drawing appears to be worng.

oops, not fixed. They swapped the pins on the symbol only, so not it really wrong.

Inthe pop up display, they don’t have the symbol and footprint oriented the same way. It’s not wrong, but poor practice as it is easy to misread.

SamacSys is the group that does footprints for Mouser. Honestly, now that I have a bit more experience with SMD and KiCAD, I think I’ll just use the KiCAD footprints.

1 Like

That sounds good. I sometimes refer to the KiCad footprints but I generally make my own for easy hand soldering.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.